The Backpage: One-man crime spree

Monday, April 16, 2012 at 10:05pm
By Pierce Greenberg and Sean McNaughton

When William Todd’s mother wired him some cash for a bus ticket from Georgia to Kentucky to turn himself in on criminal charges, she probably wasn’t expecting her son to go on a wild crime rampage before he made it to the commonwealth.

But Todd found himself behind bars on the afternoon of March 25 after police said he wreaked havoc across Music City. It started at the Greyhound station downtown and finally ended when Metro police found Todd submerged in a water pit on the roof of a powerhouse near the Opryland Hotel.

Todd was originally charged with aggravated assault for threatening a cab driver and two other men outside Opryland. As the police investigation continued, MNPD discovered the breadth of his activities. What follows is a recounting of his spree via police reports. Also, check out a map of the locations here. As always, these are alleged crimes, and Todd is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law [cue “Law & Order” sound] CHUNG CHUNG:


3 a.m.: Todd’s bus from Georgia pulled into the new Greyhound station near the intersection of Lafayette Street and Fifth Avenue South downtown.

3:20 a.m.: Todd broke into Slaughterhouse, a haunted house attraction, on Sixth Avenue South. He stole several items from the business, including a Taser, according to MNPD. Ten minutes later, Todd was approached by someone near Slaughterhouse, and he threatened the man with a knife.

3:35 a.m.: The MNPD report says four people were leaving a show at the Mercy Lounge when Todd approached them and asked for a light. As one of the victims reached for a lighter, Todd Tased him, threatened the other subjects and stole their credit cards.

3:40 a.m.: Todd made his way east and carjacked a cab at First Avenue South.

3:45 a.m.: With his newly acquired credit cards, Todd purchased $19 worth of items at a business on Fesslers Lane and Murfreesboro Road.

4:30 a.m.: Police estimate that between 4:30 and 5:30 a.m., Todd traveled to the Walmart on Nolensville Road. He used the robbery victims’ money to buy $199 worth of items.

6:00 a.m.: Todd entered a law office on Union Street near Hotel Indigo, defecated on a desk and smeared feces across framed degrees hanging on the wall.

6:30 a.m.: Shouting “Housekeeping!” in a disguised female voice, Todd knocked on the doors of patrons at Hotel Indigo. He robbed several victims, police say. Video surveillance shows Todd shaved his head in a bathroom and left the hotel bald.

9:00 a.m.: The cab company noticed the stolen cab moving on GPS and pinpointed Todd’s location. Perhaps knowing that police were on his trail, he crashed the cab in a parking garage on Deaderick Street and fled.

Noon: After hailing a cab to the Opryland Hotel, Todd tried to pay with one of the stolen credit cards, but the transaction was denied. He threatened the cab driver with a knife. Opryland security attempted to intervene, but Todd brandished the knife at them, then sprinted toward the powerhouse. Hermitage Precinct officers apprehended Todd in a water pit on the roof. Todd was tested for suspected heroin use, but he was medically cleared and booked.

2 Comments on this post:

By: govskeptic on 4/17/12 at 9:33

Ky must have a prison sentence that needed to be avoided at all cost. 3 times
longer sentence in Tn might be his cost of that avoidance!

By: frodo on 4/18/12 at 6:41

This guy gets around. Perhaps there is a running back slot for him with the Titans. With a few scrapes with the law, he'll probably just blend in.