Bellevue man shot by authorities in standoff

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 9:23am
Staff reports

Metro Police say Timothy Craig Terry — the schizophrenic 31-year-old who was shot by authorities Tuesday — is in critical condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

The Bellevue man was shot by Metro SWAT officers at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday after he allegedly raised a pistol toward them while he was standing in the breezeway of Waterford Place Apartments.

Officers had been in a standoff with Terry since 9:15 p.m. Monday night when his sister alerted authorities that he was off his medication, armed and acting crazy.

Police negotiators had worked throughout the night to establish a dialogue with Terry without success. Two phones had been delivered to the apartment, but Terry refused to pick up either one. Terry made numerous references to Satan and that he was waiting on Jesus Christ, police said.

Numerous requests for Terry to exit the apartment unarmed were ignored, police said.

At 7:26 a.m., he had fired a shot through his bedroom window near where officers had been trying to communicate with him, police said. At 11:11 a.m. he had fired a shot through his bedroom wall.

At 11:43 a.m., Terry exited his apartment with pistol in hand and sat on breezeway steps facing the parking lot and SWAT officers, according to police. He was ordered repeatedly to drop his gun, which Terry switched from hand to hand. He ignored the commands, started to stand up and pointed the pistol in the direction of the SWAT officers. Believing that Terry posed an imminent threat, SWAT members fired on Terry with their police-issued rifles. He was hit, received emergency treatment at the scene, and was rushed to Vanderbilt Medical Center.

This is the second time this year Metro officers have had to deal with Terry’s bizarre and erratic behavior. On Jan. 19, officers were called to Creekwood Apartments in Bellevue after Terry was spotted walking around the complex in his boxer shorts carrying a large sword. Officers found Terry in his apartment with the door ajar. He advanced on police with the sword while yelling nonsense. He refused to drop the weapon and told officers they would have to kill him. A Taser was deployed more than once, which allowed officers to take Terry into custody. He was sent that day for a psychological evaluation.