Council adds 41 more eligible houses to flood buyout program

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 11:10am

The Metro Council has set the stage for the purchasing and destruction of another 41 flood-damaged homes eligible for the city's flood buyout program.  

The council on Tuesday approved a resolution that authorizes Metro to apply for a state grant that would eventually lead to the demolition of houses in western and northern Nashville neighborhoods that are in the city’s floodplain, making them prone to future flooding.

Most of the houses that are a part of the latest round of buyouts are near West Hamilton Avenue in the north and The Nations neighborhood.

The figure adds to 81 homes on which the city has already closed.

Under the program, the Federal Emergency Management Agency covers 75 percent of purchasing costs, with the state and Metro covering the remaining 25 percent. Eligibility for the program is based on a home’s proximity to the floodplain. Priority was given to homes in the floodway — the most dangerous part of the floodplain — that sustained damage greater than 50 percent of the structure’s appraised value. Homes were then grouped to avoid isolating individual parcels.

In all, 305 properties countywide are eligible for the buyout program.

1 Comment on this post:

By: whatsit2u on 2/4/11 at 12:25

I am totally opposed to buying any home that was in a designated floodplain when it was last sold.