For the first time in six years, Nashville’s public school district has met the requirements of federal No Child Left Behind laws. Nashville Mayor Karl Dean said in a statement Wednesday afternoon that he’s “pleased” with the “good news,” but challenges still lie ahead.
“To me, this is evidence that when a community rallies around its schools, progress can be made,” Dean said. “We still have a long way to go to reach our ultimate goal, which is for all of our students to succeed. And starting this school year standards are going up, meaning our challenge is only going to be greater. Now is not the time to be complacent.”
Dean said the Mayor’s Office will look at data pertaining to the positive results and speak with Gov. Phil Bredesen and officials with the state Department of Education to determine next steps. He said he hopes to continue focus on teacher compensation, after-school programs and attendance.
Read Dean’s full statement here.
The DOE announced Wednesday morning that Metro Nashville Public Schools has fulfilled the requirements of Adequate Yearly Progress. The district has met academic requirements that were failed last year, and averted a set of serious consequences that would have resulted if MNPS had failed.
State officials said this morning that Metro Schools reached "improving status" during an appeals process. MNPS has met requirements for Safe Harbor under NCLB — this means that though Metro scores did not reach all required benchmarks, sufficient improvement was demonstrated.
This is the first year MNPS has been eligible for Safe Harbor, state officials say.
The positive results are for MNPS, as an entire district. For the complete information released to media by the DOE, including school-by-school data, click here.