The would-be developer of a controversial landfill in Bellevue is expected to withdraw the proposal Wednesday.
Metro Councilwoman Sheri Weiner Tuesday evening told The City Paper she had received word from Tom White, attorney for developer Mickey Mitchell, confirming the plans to withdraw the 81-acre landfill project, planned for 7739 Charlotte Pike, near the Thousand Oaks Estates neighborhood.
Attorney Jamie Hollin, who represents neighbors opposing the landfill, said Metro’s Solid Waste Region Board would likely rescind its grant of application to the project at a special meeting Wednesday, which it had previously called to reconsider the proposal.
At a Board of Zoning Appeals meeting last week, Hollin raised questions about alleged misrepresentations made by the developers.
According to Hollin, developers said the recycling facility would be a much-needed “convenience center” but zoning only allows for a “drop-off facility.” Hollin referred to the misrepresentation as a “Trojan horse.”
The BZA voted to defer the landfill proposal to wait for input from Metro Public Works as well as a traffic study.
Council members also penned a letter to the SWRB last Friday, asking that it revisit the project due to possible misrepresentations.
The official notice says the SWRB will consider possibly rescinding or amending their decision to approve the landfill “due to possible discrepancies with elements of the proposal as previously presented.”