Metro police battle week's worth of violent, rough resistance

Friday, July 29, 2011 at 5:53pm

A man accused of shooting at an undercover police detective now faces charges of aggravated assault on an officer and unlawful gun possession.

According to police, Jimmy Lee Head shot at an officer who was working a prostitution sting operation Thursday night in the area of McCann Street and Second Avenue South.

When the detective approached a woman sitting with Head, 22, on the side of the road at 9:55 p.m. and tried to talk to her, Head allegedly became angry and threw a bottle then fired several shots at the detective’s car as it drove away.

The detective was not hit by the gunfire, and officers arrested Head shortly afterward, allegedly finding a .22-caliber pistol.

Head is in jail in lieu of $85,000 bond.

The alleged shooting capped a particularly violent week for Metro officers.

Last Friday, a homeless man with no prior arrests on his record in Nashville allegedly charged Officer Marty Crowder in a restroom at the Provence Breads & Café at Sixth Avenue and Church Street.

According to police, James Collier locked the restroom door after following Crowder into the facility and allegedly wanted to take Crowder’s gun when the officer used a knife to stab Collier in the left leg, thwarting the assault.

The case against Collier, who represented himself in court this week, has been bound over to a grand jury.

Later in the evening last Friday, officers pulled over Jhonta Garrett, 24, at Interstate 65 North and Rosa Parks Boulevard for allegedly driving at night with no headlights on.

Instead of turning off the car and getting out, police said Garrett sped away with an officer standing next to him, running over the officer’s foot. Police arrested Garrett the following day.

Yet another officer was assaulted after he stopped to help a man apparently having a seizure. After the man, identified as 49-year-old Ricky Smith revived, he allegedly became confrontational with the officer, who repeatedly asked him to remain seated until medical personnel arrived, according to an arrest affidavit.

When the officer tried to put Smith in handcuffs, police said he punched the officer in the face, knocked him down and began choking him. Backup officers responded and were able to take the man into custody.