The parents of a woman who died after suffering burns in an East Nashville home fire have sued the landlords and inhabitants of the house.
Kristen Richardson, 22, was severely burned when a fire consumed the area where she was sleeping in a home on Skyview Drive in East Nashville. She died from her injuries roughly a month later.
The lawsuit, filed by Richardson’s parents John Richardson and Lisa Earles, claims that the “owner-manager” of the home, Home Advantage Properties, should have identified conditions that led to the fire such as non-authorized people living in the home and Metro Codes violations.
HAP had allegedly received notice of those violations in February 2012. Those alleged codes violations, however, don’t show up in online records of Metro Codes violations at the home.
Richardson was attending a party at the home on March 25-26, 2012. One of the people living at the home slept in an unfinished “nook,” according to the lawsuit. The suit claims that the person fell asleep surrounded by candles that were lit in order to read at night.
The candles caused sheets to catch on fire and eventually consumed large portions of the house, including where Richardson was sleeping, according to the suit.
The suit accuses 11 defendants, including the property manager and inhabitants of the home, of negligence.
“Each of the defendant tenants had a duty to eliminate known and foreseeable dangers from the property,” states the suit, filed by attorney R. Eddie Davidson.
Richardson and Earles are requesting medical and funeral expenses, as well as compensatory damages for their daughter’s death.