Suspected serial rapist indicted for allegedly fondling child

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 6:01pm
Staff reports
Mauricio Alberto Morales

Suspected serial rapist Mauricio Alberto Morales, who is already jailed on charges of raping two adult women in separate cases, has now been indicted for allegedly raping and fondling a 10-year-old girl in her home near Old Hickory Boulevard and Nolensville Pike, Metro Police said.

The 10-year-old reported that she awoke in the late night/early morning hours of April 24-25 and saw a man standing in her room, police said. She told her parents that the man sexually assaulted her more than once. The girl's parents, after hearing her disclosures and seeing that a screen had been removed from one of their windows, called police on April 26.

Detectives and crime scene investigators carefully processed the residence for evidence and collected items from the girl's room, including the bedding.

Analysis of the evidence by the TBI crime laboratory revealed the presence of DNA that matched Mauricio Morales. The Davidson County grand jury on Friday indicted Morales on three counts of child rape, one count of aggravated sexual battery and one count of aggravated burglary.

In another case from January of this year, Morales, 32, an El Salvadoran national, is charged with aggravated rape and aggravated burglary for allegedly entering the home of a 49-year-old Madeline Drive resident while she slept and raping her.

Morales is also charged with aggravated rape, aggravated burglary and child abuse in connection with a case from June 15, 2008, on Antioch Pike. In that incident, Morales is alleged to have broken into a 32-year-old woman's home while she slept, sexually assaulted her, and assaulted her 4-year-old son by throwing him against a wall when he tried to intervene.

An extensive investigation by Metro Sex Crimes detectives and U.S. Marshal Fugitive Task Forces in Tennessee and Texas led to Morales' arrest July 3 at his sister's home in Texas City, Texas.

Morales was convicted of aggravated burglary and aggravated assault in Houston in 1998. He was behind bars for six years before being deported from the United States in 2004.