Letters to the Editor

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 1:26am

Don’t care for Obamacare

I am contacting you to let you know that the "Obamacare" ad at the bottom of your paper has forced me to abandon your paper all together.

I respect your right to have opinions, and pursue making money, but your biased admittance of glaringly right-wing propaganda has forced me to get my news elsewhere. You are not "The" Nashville City Paper, just a publication with an agenda.

The picture of Obama in scrubs on the Newsmax ad is portraying a slanted opinion. If you want to further your numbers with readers, try not allowing such one-way advertisements to appear on your website.

I know you have conservative columnists, and you are comfortable with your positions for a reason, but if you truly want to be regarded as a "news" source, you must do away with advertising like that.

I have lived in Nashville my whole life and will not support an "agenda" publication, good luck and let me know if you’re ready to report and support true journalism.

Chad Abel
Nashville

Filed under: City Voices

230 Comments on this post:

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 5:49

This picture will haunt me for the rest of my life. It is the reason I scream against the extreme fringe right wing, who want to bring civil war to this country.

http://olbroad.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/oklahoma-city-bombing-1.jpg

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 6:02

The face of a coward and a baby killer

http://www.subvertednation.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/timothy-mcveigh.jpg

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 6:19

Taylor Switf was not the big winner last night, Poor Tony he will have to write a letter about the injustices of it all.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 6:21

How arrogant. Obama's in scrubs, smiling? Who cares? See the photos the Tea Baggers hold in their arms of Obama? As Hitler, Marx, Devil, Satan, Joker and worse. The erectile dysfunction ads are offensive to some. The Frist sliding banner ad was irritating.
But, Mr. Abel, stay tuned and by the phone. TCP will call you as soon as they forgo $1,000 a week in ad money.

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 6:35

Morning Paul.

By: house_of_pain on 4/19/10 at 6:46

If I were to boycott every paper/TV channel/radio station that ran ads for stuff I don't agree with...well, I'd be pretty freakin' bored.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:01

Nemo & House....in the "Big House" (or should be except for that legal technicality).
I'm starting to get behind hockey. Just as long as my Red Wings wax those hoe's called the Predators. We shall see how hockey is played, "Detroit" style...cheap shots, high sticking, icing, ruffing the passer (oh, wrong sport).
Bridgestone Arena better build a bigger penalty box when Detroit comes to town.

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 7:02

Obama in scrubs? He da doctor! He da doctor! No matter what happens, I've always heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If 45,000 people needed help, then help that group. BUT leave the rest of us along. I do not want Obama CARE (Creepy and Repuganat to Everyone). I want to be responsible for myself.

I understand what the writer is saying. But boycotting won't help. The money coming in to pay the CP is not his personal 5.5 million in wealth; it's TAX dollars. And quite frankly, I can't bear another day of his "smug' mug on the computer screen. But I'll bear it, so I can get on here and exercise my freedom of Speech!

I know D7 would rather I get mad and go away, but NO CHANCE or FAT CHANCE.

Anyway, my garden is awesome, my cat is chewing his tail, my dogs are ready for the "needle" and my husband finished the deck after 3 years. Life is good.

By: Kosh III on 4/19/10 at 7:11

" I want to be responsible for myself."

So you will forgo Social Security? Medicare? Socialist Post Office? Socialist Roads? Government run Police and Fire?

And it's 45 MILLION citizens who need health care, not 45 thousand.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:12

Sidiot: You mixed up your venacular. Your husband, once finding out "Dr. Death" Kovorkian is out on bail, has requested "the needle".

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:14

FACT: 31 (million) Americans do NOT have health insurance. (10% of the population).
FACT: 43,000 (thousand) die each year from that lack of adequate medical care.
FACT: Sidiot is still, well, Sidiot.

By: house_of_pain on 4/19/10 at 7:22

FACT: Detroit has zero chance of winning the Cup this year.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:23

House: Didn't know you cross-dressed. Saw your post in USA Today on Fri. re: Predators. Didn't mean to out you.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:25

House: Granted. Ok then, how 'bout them Lions in 2010?

By: house_of_pain on 4/19/10 at 7:31

Oh yeah...I'm out there, d7...and I'm lovin' every minute of it.
A single forum can no longer contain me. My adoring public needs me...

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 7:32

Anyway, my garden is awesome, my cat is chewing his tail, my dogs are ready for the "needle" and my husband finished the deck after 3 years. Life is good.

http://youoffendmeyouoffendmyfamily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/OLD-HAG.jpg

By: house_of_pain on 4/19/10 at 7:33

The Lions will win 6 games this year. You heard it here first.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:34

6 games? In a row?

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 7:40

From the garden

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_fanciful_twist/images/2008/09/29/theodora_olive_cooke_back.jpg

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_fanciful_twist/images/2008/09/29/ursula_antonius_beaconsfield_front.jpg

By: rldavenport@com... on 4/19/10 at 7:47

Mr. Abel has lived here all of his life and will not support an "agenda" publication? What does he think the Tennessean is? Give me a break!

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 7:52

As long as the Garden Ho had the magical pumpkins she was able to fool men….
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/images/uploads/2009104/witch pumpkins.jpg

but once she stood away from them, her true self would appear.
http://lubattidesigns.com/Witch_Nose.jpg

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 7:55

Hockey anyone?

http://www.curtoons.com/newlogos/hockeyclubweb.gif

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:03

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 7:14
FACT: 31 (million) Americans do NOT have health insurance. (10% of the population).
FACT: 43,000 (thousand) die each year from that lack of adequate medical care.
FACT: Sidiot is still, well, Sidiot.

31 million can be helped by the govt. Leave the rest of us alone. Hey D7, 90% of all drivers are good and safe. Should they get tickets when the other 10% get a ticket?

Help the 10%. Leave the rest of us alone. WE ain't broke; don't fix us.

43,000 die because they didn't get "adequate" medical care. AND how many die just because! People are born, people live and people die. It's part of life.

Do not call me Sidiot. I do not like it anymore.

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:05

D7, don't mention my husband in your bad breath comments.

I've been married 24 years to him. What's your longest marriage - 24 minutes or 24 months? No one would keep you around if they were sane.

And good grief man, get a life. Stay out of mine!

By: jvh2b on 4/19/10 at 8:09

Good Morning All!

Chad - Don't let the doorknob hit your hind end on the way out!
It's an AD dude...not political bias. Money talks and b/s walks.

Sid, how is it you are being 'ticketed' for the 10%? Do you allready have health insurance? Yes? Then please tell me how this will make you come anything out of pocket....unless of course you are making over 250,000/yr.

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:17

D7 had one of his fingers cut off in a do it yourself handyman project. That would be 10% of his fingers. Should we cut off the other 90% to even out the score?

10% of the rooms in my house need paint? Should I paint the entire house?

90% of my garden is flourishing without chemical pesticides? But 10% is covered with a fungus. Should I spray deadly chemicals on all my garden?

10% of the class failed a test. Should we fail the entire class.

10% of the police are crooked. Should we put the rest in jail?

D7, your math is bad and the "cure" is worse than the ailment. IF 10% of Americans need help, help10% and let the other 90% take care of itself.

I do not need or want gov't medical attention. HEY! Announcement: I've gotten the best medical care money can buy for 63 years and guess what? I"m gonna die anyway -- sooner or later.

D7, you are the idiot. Not me. I will not longer pretend to be stupid to make you feel good. You are an idiot.

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:21

jvh2b, good morning; hope you and others had awesome weekend.

The new healthcare makes insurance Mandatory. For 8 years, my hubby and I had no insurance, didn't want any and didn't buy any. We were fine. Had out of pocket wellness checks for about $1000 in a year.

I've paid more out of pocket for my pets than that. Last year, including Tuxedo's death, we paid out $2000 for pet care. Tux got run over and that bill was $1000.

People buy what they want to buy. I do not wish for the gov-ment to dictate my spending. And if I choose not to buy insurance, I get fined! Go to hell, Uncle Sammie Boy!

The 90% are doing fine. So don't fix them. Fix the 10%.

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:23

By: Captain Nemo on 4/19/10 at 7:32
Anyway, my garden is awesome, my cat is chewing his tail, my dogs are ready for the "needle" and my husband finished the deck after 3 years. Life is good.

http://youoffendmeyouoffendmyfamily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/OLD-HAG.jpg

Capt. once I posted a link and someone said it might have a virus. So I took that cue and never look up links that anyone posted (except once).

Nice try.

My deck is so nice now. Before it looked like a heap of wood piled in the back yard of a trailer park - a run down trailer park.

By: Kosh III on 4/19/10 at 8:25

"31 million can be helped by the govt. Leave the rest of us alone."

Socialized medicine is good enough for them but you are too holy for it? Typical Republican response: I've got mine--frak you.
Whatever happened to compassion, loving your neighbor, being your brothers keeper? Going the extra mile?

By: govskeptic on 4/19/10 at 8:28

What uniform would best suit the person in charge
of Auto manufacturing, healthcare, banking, financial
and pension funding, the Military/Industrial complex,
and the IRS? I don't think I like the image!

By: house_of_pain on 4/19/10 at 8:31

Senator Eric Stewart is asking for a new specialty license plate: "Jesus Is Lord"...
Tracy City, TN, is fed up with their incumbent mayor, and has now elected a dead man to that office...WTF?

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:31

No, you stupid idiot. I think that we should help the needy and weak.

I am not needy or weak. I can take care of myself. Are you too stupid or too holy to figure that out?

Go the extra mile for the weak and helpless. Leave the rest who can take care of themselves alone.

Are you loosers too stupid to figure that out? Why help me by mandating something I already do?

D7, do you change your underwear daily? If the answer is yes, then do you need your mommie to check it to be sure? The gov'ment can be "mommie" to the 10% that need a mommie or some legitimate help.

NO one is denying that. BUT the 90% who are OK, don't need the fricking gov-ment pill. Give the help to those who need it. Leave the rest of us alone.

Are ya'll all on drugs or just stupid?

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:34

I'm going to the Y to work out. This place, CP, is harmful to one's health. Hey can I get some money from yall? I'm low on gas money. I need gas money to get to the Y. Can ya'll send me some of ya'll money so I can be on my way to the Y to stay healthy?

Maybe the gov-ment should tell ya'll what type of car ato buy. What type of clothes to wear. What music to listen to.

90% of the world needs to listen to the crap that the other 10% listens to.

Speaking of good music, Nashville Rocks!

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 8:35

Well, it's a Monday, and TCP didn't have a Fri. edition, so Sidiot is loaded for bear.
"43,000 die each and every year"...
Sidiot: OK, then, bury them!
Frances Nightengale she's not!

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:36

Kosh III on 4/19/10 at 8:25
"31 million can be helped by the govt. Leave the rest of us alone."

Socialized medicine is good enough for them but you are too holy for it? Typical Republican response: I've got mine--frak you.
Whatever happened to compassion, loving your neighbor, being your brothers keeper? Going the extra mile?

Kosh, socialized medicine (or socialisation) is not about "compassion, love or helping others" It is about power of the few at the top.

I've got the Red Book of Mao. YOu think the Chinease love each other? Right! You think that the people in Cuba are "loved" or controlled?

You don't know Socialism. You don't know squat!

By: jvh2b on 4/19/10 at 8:37

Had a great weekend! Thanks for asking...hope you did as well!

Ok now riddle me this....I realize you don't want the govt telling you what to do...but you do realize there are no ramifications for NOT having health insurance right? Ok so you get a fine...but guess what....the fine isn't enforceable and there are NO punishments if you don't pay it!!!

Of course you have health insurance, so it doesn't affect you anyways....

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:37

y: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 8:35
Well, it's a Monday, and TCP didn't have a Fri. edition, so Sidiot is loaded for bear.
"43,000 die each and every year"...
Sidiot: OK, then, bury them!
Frances Nightengale she's not!

And look you idiot, please quote the number of people who die - ANYWAY - who had good insurance and good medical care?

Dummy!

And Einstein, you're not, D7! More like Frank-eeen-stein!

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:41

jvh2b, I have health insurance NOW, but for 8 years DID NOT. And quite frankly, we pay $5000 a year for that insurance.

The reason we can afford $5000 is that we don't smoke, we don't drink, we don't have toys (boats, etc), we have an old t.v. (12 years old); we don't get new clothes a lot (just necesssities), we never went on a vacation for 20 years (last 4 years we got one a year), we don't have big diamonds and fancy stuff.

We live a frugal life. We don't drink more than one coke a week; we rarely eat junk food and we don't drink and drive.

So, we are average schmucks who like to take care of ourselves.

The Obamacare plan has in it that the IRS will monitor the health care and if you don't have it, they will collect.

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:42

He wasn't dead when they voted.

And Jesus is Lord. Didn't you see the Country music awards last night. Thank the Lord for Country Music. Love it!

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:45

Of course you have health insurance, so it doesn't affect you anyways....

jvh2b, it will affect my tax dollars and how they are spent. AND yes, if I choose to NOT have insurance, it will affect me.

Look, if we give the 10% that are needy, $500,000, a house and a car, I bet 50% of them would be in the exact same boat one year later. I know D7 would. He can't manage himself or his money!

By: sidneyames on 4/19/10 at 8:45

OK, I'm out of breath. Got to go.

By: Dragon on 4/19/10 at 9:01

"Ok so you get a fine...but guess what....the fine isn't enforceable and there are NO punishments if you don't pay it!!!"

True, but the bill assumes many billions are collected from this fine. If you do not voluntarily send them a check, they will garnish any income tax refund you are due. Guess that means that only working taxpayers are subject to this punishment.

And, expect your premiums to increase. The insurance companies will have to recover the insurance company tax, new hospital tax, medical device tax as well as the costs of mandated benefits such as no co-pay for "wellness" benefits.

By: Funditto on 4/19/10 at 9:03

Whoa. Sid doubled up on one of her meds today I see.

"I understand what the writer is saying. But boycotting won't help. The money coming in to pay the CP is not his personal 5.5 million in wealth; it's TAX dollars."

Sid honey, the ad they're talking about was against Obama. And not paid for by him. You're comprehension is kinda funny. Keep it up - I need a good laugh right now.

And sid - you DO smoke! You said so not too long ago. Quit lying.

By: Funditto on 4/19/10 at 9:05

Yes, sid and you can also afford $5k because you don't have kids and are in good health. God forbid you develop diabetes or cancer. Then see how much you can afford. Thanks to reform, at least you'll be able to keep your coverage.

By: Kosh III on 4/19/10 at 9:21

"You don't know Socialism. "

Hmm, when an idealist college student I studies Lev Davidovich Bronstein (Trotsky) extensively. Do you even know who that was?
AND I do know some Socialist countries: Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, to name a few--aside from the first, all pretty good places to live.

By: Blanketnazi2 on 4/19/10 at 9:29

mornin', all.

By: dargent7 on 4/19/10 at 9:33

Sidiot's on fire today.
Husband's on "Hold" with Dr. Kovorkian I bet.
"Just calling the vet, dear".

By: BenDover on 4/19/10 at 9:35

"Whatever happened to compassion, loving your neighbor, being your brothers keeper? Going the extra mile?"

A question totally out of context. Some people simply have a principled objection to having our earnings taken at gunpoint; then flushed through an inefficient, often corrupt and politically motivated bureaucracy, to do someone else's definition of 'good'.

We are the source of the only form of real generosity because you cannot be generous with other people’s money… that’s called stealing. To take one group’s earnings in a system politically distorted by highly progressive taxation is just government advocated theft where the supposed beneficiary usually ends up losing anyway because the benefits are eaten away by the non-value-added bureaucracy and because the negative effects to the work / reward cycle degrades overall opportunity and wealth in the free market.

By: Funditto on 4/19/10 at 9:35

LOL. Where's a good place for a cheap lunch in East Nashville?

By: Funditto on 4/19/10 at 9:38

48% of Americans pay NO TAXES AT ALL. Families of four, with less than $50K per year income pay nothing. Compared to other countries, we pay very little and yet we still complain based on what? The greed of so many makes me very sad.