Adams displays obscene gestures at end of Titans-Bills game

Monday, November 16, 2009 at 8:12am

Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams flipped an obscene gesture toward fans from his luxury suite near the conclusion of Sunday’s 41-17 victory over the Buffalo Bills, not long after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had visited him in the owner's box.

Others reports also indicated that the 86-year-old Titans owner made the same hand gesture from down on the field as well at the end of the game.

"We are looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said of the matter.

A YouTube video capturing Adams displaying the gestures from the owner's box appears on that Web site.

Adams offered an apology in a statement issued through the Titans on Monday.

“I need to apologize for my actions yesterday near the end of the game. I got caught up in the excitement of a great day, but I do realize that those types of things shouldn’t happen," Adams said in the statement. "I need to specifically apologize to the Bills, their fans, our fans and the NFL. I obviously have a great deal of respect for Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared. I also understand there will probably be league discipline for my actions and I will accept those.”

Goodell was on hand for the game, spent time with Adams before the game, and was in his luxury suite, which is located near midfield on the east side of the stadium, during the contest but was not present when Adams made the gestures, according to Aiello.

"The commissioner had left the suite and was sitting with fans in the end zone in the fourth quarter," Aiello said.

Goodell answered a Twitter message from a Titans fan, Lisa Hayes, and sat with her during the final period of the game from Section 104 of LP Field.

On Monday, Goodell spoke to the Gaston (N.C.) Gazette and said he would wait until he had seen video to determine what sort of action to take against the Titans owner.

"Until I get an opportunity to look at it and be able to make a decision on it... But I've said before that we're held to a higher standard in the NFL and that includes yours truly, it includes the owners, the front office people and it includes the players,” Goodell said. “Those are things we will continue to emphasize and if people violate them we will deal with it."

Adams was seen dancing and laughing after a Vincent Fuller interception that was returned for a touchdown in the fourth quarter, and then apparently made the gestures before disappearing from view in the suite and resurfacing on the field.

By: bfra on 11/16/09 at 9:47

Vincent Fuller's touchdown was something to dance & laugh about! TO was standing there like he had caught the pass and wondering where that Titan was going. TO was something to laugh AT yesterday!

By: cmarcus45 on 11/16/09 at 9:53

Every ounce of me knows that this type of conduct should not be tolerated, yet I find myself liking Bud Adams for, really, the first time . . .

By: dogmrb on 11/16/09 at 10:28

We don't need this. Play and act like professionals.

By: frank brown on 11/16/09 at 10:28

I can understand Bud Adams flipping a bird to Houston. I do not however know to whom this bird yesterday was intended. Was it Vince Young's mother for creating a lot of this controversy about her son! Was it the Buffalo team? Was it Jeff Fisher? Was it Mike Heim? Was it David Climer? Was it the fans who know that Vince Young is not the answer to better than 8 and 8?

By: TITAN1 on 11/16/09 at 12:57

Actually frank, since VY has been playing very well and very well might be our future, Mr Adams may have stumbled across this site and read your comments and was flipping you off.

By: nature on 11/16/09 at 12:58

Somebody shot the 'bird' at somebody. As my mother would say, "How uncouth." Well, we are winning and ole' Bud let it fly. Hmmmmm..... He did right by apologizing.
And the Titans? The defense needs help. The receivers did better. I am willing to say I was wrong about VY. I think he was told to look and act more mature or else. It seems he has tried to better himself. He even wears a sport coat. No bling, no dreads, and no gold teeth.
And Chris Johnson, who uses these things to decorate himself, kicked butt! What a cut back. I forgot the punt and kickoff receiver's name, but he rocked. And Kerry is setting back, being patient, waiting for his chance when it comes. All the first loses were not his fault.
TO was acting like a 5 year old. I was waiting for him to throw himself on the ground and start screaming and kicking. I wonder if he had to have his diapers changed?

By: house_of_pain on 11/16/09 at 1:57

I agree, TITAN1, He was flipping frank off.

By: real_frank_brown on 11/16/09 at 3:02

I agree too, TITAN 1 and house of pain. If I ever meet the fake frank, I might consider it as well.

By: jwk6179 on 11/16/09 at 4:11

It's funny that their so much support on this board for Bud Adams' display of POOR SPORTSMANSHIP after yesterday's game. If Jerry Jones, Al Davis, Daniel Snider, Ralph Wilson or any other NFL had flipped off the opposing team or their fans, TITAN1 and all his alter egos would be screaming for that owner to be suspended by the NFL and for that owner to be forced to sell his interest in the team. But let that old sot Bud Adams do it and TITAN1 and all his ALTER EGOS think it's the GREATEST THING to ever happen. Maybe someone from the Titans front office or LP Field should HIDE the keys to the LIQUOR CABINET before the next home game!!!

By: TITAN1 on 11/16/09 at 4:38

^ I knew the troll would come out from under its bridge! LOL!

By: jwk6179 on 11/16/09 at 4:45

I think you are mistaken, my friend. We all know that you are the TROLL!!!

By: jwk6179 on 11/16/09 at 4:46

And the ONLY TROLL on this MESSAGE BOARD...LOL!!!

By: TITAN1 on 11/16/09 at 5:08

jw, how original.

By: voteoutbartgordon on 11/16/09 at 5:48

I dont think 250k will break him. He will be able to survive...lol... Was nice to see some emotions out of someone with the titans

By: voteoutbartgordon on 11/16/09 at 5:48

By: border collie on 11/17/09 at 3:45

I never liked Bud Adams before this!!! It was just too funny!!! Let's fight some dogs people....that' seems to be acceptable !!!!! I think the $250,000 should go to charity if he has to pay the ridiculous fine then it should be donated to an area that needs money for high school football. Or better yet.....a miss manners class for all the NFL. mistresses, drugs, assaults, but the bird finger will create devastating whirlwinds of despair to the NFL.