After robbery charge, former Vandy player Simmons lands at ODU

Monday, August 6, 2012 at 11:31pm

A former Vanderbilt player who was arrested on armed robbery and burglary charges last November has landed back on a college football roster.

Safety Andre Simmons was listed on Old Dominion’s roster as the Monarchs opened preseason camp on Monday.

Simmons was suspended indefinitely and later dismissed from the team after he was one of two suspects arrested for breaking into a Vanderbilt dorm room and stealing approximately $5,000 while holding another student at gunpoint. In March, the burglary charge was dropped and the armed robbery charge was lowered to theft over $1,000. He was also placed on three years of probation.

Simmons was at Vanderbilt for two seasons, playing as a reserve safety in 10 games in 2010 and serving on special teams last year. The 6-foot, 205-pounder from Lorton, Va. returns to his home state to help the Monarchs, who will move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision in 2013. 

“The coaches at Vanderbilt described this as an unfortunate situation," Old Dominion coach Bobby Wilder told the Virginian-Pilot. "One of the coaches said he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. His dad’s in the military. I asked Andre and his father to meet me in my office. When he was there, it was all yes sir and no sir.We feel comfortable that this was an isolated incident. Part of my job as a coach, and an educator, is to give second chances.

“...It’s been made very clear to him that there won’t be any tolerance for any type of a situation here. He understands that, he understands he’s got to do things the right way, and I’m confident he will. “He was remorseful about what happened. He wants to do well, to earn a degree and have a good football career.”

3 Comments on this post:

By: sonny1024 on 8/7/12 at 6:07

athletes get more second chances then anyone else.they should be treated as everyone else when they break the law but they are treated better.now this young man deserves a second chance at getting at good education and to play football i nothing nothing against that.but take people like PAC man Jones mikeal vick should not have been allowed to come back and play pro football .a man i no went and applied for a job as a trash collector for the city he lives in a very low paying job but was turned down because he had a shop lifting charge against him when he was just 19 he is now 38.what he stole was two packs of cigarettes.but Jones and vick went own and made million of dollars but my friend could get hired for the $ 8.50 hour job.is that fair you tell me.

By: budlight on 8/7/12 at 7:00

No Sonny, it is not fair. That is proof that the average Joe needs to keep his nose clean - no criminal charges at all.

By: G.Scout on 8/7/12 at 7:54

To get a burglary charge dismissed and an armed robbery charge reduced to theft over $1000 means only one thing -- they never had a case against him in the first place. He deserves a second nad if he screws that up, then we all know what time it is with him.