Amano's agent says Titans deal close, but not complete

Friday, February 12, 2010 at 5:37pm
amanomain.jpg
Amano

UPDATED — The Tennessee Titans and Eugene Amano are close to agreeing to a reported five-year contract.

The City Paper first reported on Friday that negotiations between Amano’s agent Rocky Arceneaux were on-going. Titans Radio reported on Monday that a deal had been reached for five years, but Arceneaux called that premature.

“That report was premature. We still have quite a few things to work out,” Arceneaux said. “[Tuesday] ought to be a big day in terms of whether we get something done or not.”

Amano, 28, was a seventh-round pick out of Southeast Missouri State in 2004, and has blossomed into a dependable starter the past two seasons. Amano was part of the Titans offensive line in 2009 that helped Chris Johnson become only the sixth rusher in NFL history to eclipse the 2,000-yard mark.

Amano and starting center Kevin Mawae are both unrestricted free agents-to-be, and the club has been wanting to create a spot in the starting lineup for third-year center Leroy Harris, who has been the top interior backup the past two seasons.

Contrary to a report from the NFL Network that said the Titans were also negotiating with the 39-year-old Mawae, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, indicated that no talks had yet taken place.

“I spoke to the Titans a couple of weeks ago about Kevin, and they said they would get back to me,” Bartelstein said.

The Titans have at least 11 and potentially as many as 17 players who are headed into unrestricted free agency.

Others who will be unrestricted free agents barring a last-minute deal include linebacker Keith Bulluck, defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, tight end Alge Crumpler, cornerback Nick Harper, defensive end Jevon Kearse, safety Donnie Nickey, punter Craig Hentrich, safety Kevin Kaesviharn and cornerback Rod Hood.

Six other Titans — defensive end Dave Ball, defensive tackles Tony Brown and Kevin Vickerson, linebacker Stephen Tulloch, tight end Bo Scaife and running back LenDale White — will be restricted free agents unless a new collective bargaining agreement is agreed upon before the free agent period starts to give them unrestricted status.

By: TitansFan035 on 2/15/10 at 12:35

I have a feeling that he will eventually walk away to greener pastures. Bud is not going to pay Eugene, you know this and we know this. BUD IS CHEAP AND THE G.M WE HAVE IS STRAIGHT GARBAGE!

By: TITAN1 on 2/15/10 at 3:34

035, here is a thought! Follow another team since you don't like anything about the Titans. The Lions could probably use you.

By: TITAN1 on 2/15/10 at 3:44

Titans agree to terms with Eugne Amano

The Titans have agreed to terms with guard Eugene Amano on a five-year contract through 2014.

Amano started 15 games last season as part of a line that paved the way for running back Chris Johnson to rush for 2,006 yards.

"I am excited,'' Amano said. "Just knowng I get to be a Titan for the next 5 years and hopefully win a championship. It is also exciting to know my hard work has paid off and my coaches have confidence in me.''

Wrong again, 035! LOL!

By: clsand99 on 2/15/10 at 3:58

035, you're an idiot.

For the real fans, though, I wonder if anyone else thinks this may mean that we'll be losing Mawae. He's a free agent & Fisher has said he plans on Leroy Harris playing more next year. So could that be it for Mawae? Maybe he's looking to retire? He's one of the older OL in the league, but he's still very good & has so much fire & leadership. I'm hoping we can keep him, too.

By: TitansFan035 on 2/16/10 at 7:22

Keep on drinking the 500 Fisher cool aid! As long as he in charge we will only be just another team in the NFL. Don't get me wrong there is plenty good teams outhere with "great owners" and willing to spend and win a Super Bowl. Bud Adams, not a chance to tight on the pocket all he cares is about revenue and that the LP field is packed. Bud needs to keep on spending and trying to better the team A.S.A.P. He needs to bring in super bowl caliber players and spend some money make a splash!! As long as we keep on offering league minimum money to potential playmakers, NOPE WE WILL STILL BE ON THE 500 FISHER WAGON!!

By: TITAN1 on 2/16/10 at 8:57

035, clsand99 confirmed what I have said before, you are an idiot.

By: wayneCaluger on 2/16/10 at 9:19

Regardless how it shakes out with Eugene Amano the team is in big trouble wasting a lot of valuable time chasing and signing unproven or proven practice squad players as time ticked away on at least 11 and potentially as many as 17 players who are headed into unrestricted free agency, now just a few weeks away. I just don't see how we will be able to retain the good ones.

Somewhere along the way they have to spread these contracts out. As I understand it the 39-year-old Mawae is looking for a five year deal. Two year deal at the best in my opinion. While a proven center I cannot see him being able to keep up the pace at age 44.

Anyway, I don't understand all the fiddling around knowing even if there were just four or five keepers you need to sign it takes time. With the Titans exiting the playoff picture early December there is no excuse why signing some of these players is not either done or close to being done. Two weeks from free agency we have one maybe Titan signed and four unproven or proven practice squad players signed.

By: TITAN1 on 2/16/10 at 9:37

Of course you don't understand, Wayne. You don't have the knowledge or what it takes to be a NFL owner or GM, that is why I leave it to them, the experts. But one thing you and 035 have in common, the sky is always falling on you two.