Are wholesale changes at hand for Titans?

Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 10:20pm
19webtitans.jpg
Kerry Collins and the Titans were snowed under by the Patriots on Sunday. / Donn Jones, courtesy of TitansOnline.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — In the wake of a 59-0 loss to the New England Patriots Sunday afternoon at Gillette Stadium, the Tennessee Titans enter their bye week with major issues and questions in every facet of their organizational structure.

So many questions in fact that Coach Jeff Fisher declined to address any specific changes in his postgame press conference, especially regarding a change at the quarterback position.

“I’m not going to address the quarterback situation this evening,” Fisher offered without being prompted.

Asked if other roster changes were possible, he said, “I’m not go into changes now. We’re going to look at everything real hard. We’ve got to get back to doing something well in all three phases.”

At halftime, team senior executive vice president Steve Underwood and general manager Mike Reinfeldt huddled in a corner of the press box or most of the intermission, though the subject of their conversation was not known.

Starting quarterback Kerry Collins completed just 2 of 12 passes for minus-7 yards and a 4.9 passer rating , but had at least five catchable balls dropped by receivers in the first half. A fourth-down play, Colllins’ final play in the game, before Vince Young mopped up, went for minus-22 yards as the quarterback slipped, shoveled the ball to Nate Washington as the play completely malfunctioned.

Collins was asked if he thought he might be replaced by Vince Young, who threw two passes, including one that was picked off, he said he couldn’t be certain in an 0-6 start.

“I’m not gonna assume anything at this point. I still feel like I’m the quarterback of this team. This is my team, and I feel like I give us a chance to win when I go out there,” Collins said.

Young was asked about the situation, and did not know what would happen, he said.

“I don’t have the slightest idea. Whatever goes. I’m just here to do my job. Whatever Coach Fisher says, I’m going to do my job,” Young said. “I really feel like they know what I can do. All I can do is continue to wait and continue to prepare myself. That’s all I can do.”

Record day

Tom Brady hushed the critics who believed he and the Patriots had not been in sync this year, by throwing for a record five touchdown passes in the second quarter alone and six overall.

In all, Brady was 29 of 34 for 380 yards and the six scores. Recipients of Brady’s throws included Wes Welker, who caught 10 passes for a career high 150 yards and two scores, while Randy Moss had eight catches for 129 yards and three scores against a porous Titans defense that played rookies Jason McCourty, Ryan Mouton and second-year man Cary Williams at cornerback.

“Coach [Bill] Belichick was pretty tough on us,” Brady said, “being the only team not to hit a 40-yard pass play or have a 20-yard run all season. So hopefully, we kept him quiet for a week or two.”
Indeed, the Pats had six passes and Lawrence Maroney’s 45-yard touchdown run all over 20 yards on Sunday.

“We just didn’t execute. That’s as simple as it can get,” Mouton said of the Titans beleaguered secondary. “We’ve just got to keep going back to work. It can’t get any worse than this.”

Safety Michael Griffin, who allowed Moss to get behind him and score one of his TDs, said the players have to be accountable rather than just preaching such things.

“We all need to be held accountable. Sooner or later, we’ve all got to start taking action rather than just preaching,” Griffin said.

Gotta be the shoes?

The unexpected snowfall that hit Gillette Stadium didn’t seem to affect the Patriots, but seemed to contribute mightily to the Titans troubles. Several dropped passes early on killed Tennessee’s chances to move the chains, and the Titans fumbled six times losing three.

The footing was called into question as well for the Titans, who apparently did not pack long spikes for such an occasion.

“I am from Dayton, Ohio,” rookie running back Javon Ringer said. “I am used to it, but usually I would be more prepared, get some longer spikes or something.”

Chris Johnson, who managed 128 yards rushing in the fiasco, said it was his first time ever to play in snow.

“We practiced in the rain, but that was my first time ever in my life playing in the snow. I’m not used to it, but it’s still football, and you’ve got to go out thee and play football,” Johnson said. “Those guys are used to catching the ball, running the ball and holding on to the ball in that kind of weather. That’s not an excuse, but they’re more used to it.”

It certainly didn’t bother the Patriots on their way to a record-setting day.

“Some days out there when it’s snowy like that, it’s actually an advantage for the offense,” Brady said. “Today was one of those days, because we had good footing and it just fun to be a part of it.”

Injuries

LenDale White was the only Titan to be injured in the game. He suffered a knee injury and was limping after the game. White was carted to the locker room in the first half. He finished with six carries for 15 yards with one lost fumble.

Running it up?

Despite the 45-0 halftime lead, the Patriots came out throwing after getting the second-half kickoff and scored on their opening march on Brady’s sixth TD pass.

Despite that, the Titans said the Patriots were not running up the score, despite cries in years past that New England has done so. Three years ago, the Patriots were comfortably ahead of the Titans late in the game and allowed Vinny Testaverde to throw a touchdown pass, drawing the ire of several Tennessee players.

“That was their plan going in. Why are they going to change their plan?” Titans coach Jeff Fisher said.

Linebacker Keith Bulluck said he doesn’t blame New England for continuing to score points in either.

“Honestly and truthfully, I wouldn’t expect anything else,” linebacker Keith Bulluck said. “I definitely wouldn’t have expected anything else. I’m a firm believe in that, too. If we’ve got a team on the ropes, it’s not their fault that we weren’t matching up today.”

By: TITAN1 on 10/19/09 at 6:12

Being a die hard Titans fan, that was hard to watch. I'm not an owner, GM, or coach, but it looked obvious that the team just was not into the game early on. I won't use the word "quit" because I am not in their shoes. I back players and coaches for longer than most fans do, but I think it is time for a new head coach, now or at the end of the season. As someone said here last week, Fisher has been great for this team but it looks like the relationship has gone beyond repair. Coach Fisher has not forgotten how to coach and I'm sure he would be very successful with another team and they will be lined up to hire him. On the field the secondary is horrible and your offense can't play from behind all the time. Quarterback? Lets start VY the rest of the season and take it from there. My hunch is we will have our pick from a solid quarterback class. JMO from a die hard Titans fan.

By: pandabear on 10/19/09 at 8:19

Aw, come on !
They're just an embarrassment now.
If Fisher had any pride at all, he'd step down and
give the team a chance with someone else.

It's not Collins.

By: sidneyames on 10/19/09 at 8:50

Good comment Titan1; don't expect much support from these posters, though. I think standing by the team when they're down shows class. And it's even classier when they're up.

By: jwk6179 on 10/19/09 at 9:20

If the Titans lose the next game at home against the Jags on Nov. 1, how many fans will NO-SHOW the rest of the home games? A friend of mine that has had Titan PSLs since they became the Titans, stated last night that he is considering giving his tickets to the Christmas night game against the Chargers as a GAG CHRISTMAS GIFT. They only problem with that, he stated, was he didn't know anyone that he DISLIKED enough to give such a CRUEL GIFT TO!

By: TITAN1 on 10/19/09 at 9:31

jw, maybe he will give it to you and you can "Gag" on it. I would not have expected anything civil from you and I was right.
sidneyames, if jw and company really wanted to trash talk Titans fans, they would go to a Titans message board instead dumping their trash here where there are very few posters, period. It must be sad to be that bitter.

By: TitansFan035 on 10/19/09 at 9:51

Mr. Reinfeldt and Mr. Steve Underwood it's time to get your foot out of your mouth and stand up to Bud Adams!! Say it like this Bud the fans are getting impatient, you don't have much longet in earth so if you want to win the time is now. We need to spend money, we need to bring players to nashville that will bring back the fans and pronto! A mediocre team that it's only going to compete doesn't cut it anymore..We have no QB, im sorry your V.Y experiment didn't work. Jeff Fisher has to go, Heimendinger must also go! It i Bud Adams your organiztion has bottom out and only you can fix it, either put up and bring players that will win you a championship, or sale the team and get out of town!

By: TitansFan035 on 10/19/09 at 9:55

"At halftime, team senior executive vice president Steve Underwood and general manager Mike Reinfeldt huddled in a corner of the press box or most of the intermission, though the subject of their conversation was not known"

Well i hope firing Fisher was included on that conversation!! For the sake of this team!!

By: jwk6179 on 10/19/09 at 10:40

And it must be pretty sad to live in Never, Never Land and to really think that Bud Adams really gives a damn about Titan Fans and the City of Nashville...

By: wayneCaluger on 10/19/09 at 10:41

As coach Paul "Bear" Bryant said; A good offense will win you some games, but a good defense will win you a championship. However, he failed to mention what to expect when you have neither as well as no special teams. I think yesterdays game shows what Coach Bryant failed to mention.

The problem starts with Bud Adams and he is the reason Houston ran the Oiler's out of town. Didn't take Houston long to build the stadium they refused to build for Bud.

Like someone said in their post, Bud is all about excitement not a winning football team so a 8 and 8 season is fine with him as long as he gets the excitement like VY picking up a bad snap and running it back into his own end zone and then fumbling it. Second time this year he has done that, once in pre-season.

Until they put Bud away and someone takes over with some sense the Oiler-Titan saga will continue no matter if the Titans start Mr. Excitement or not. Even if Bud opens up his purse string his meddling will continue to hold the Titans to a break even season at the best.

By: TITAN1 on 10/19/09 at 11:16

jw, Mr Adams pays his coaches well, so he does care about the fans, Jeff Fisher is the highest or one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL. If a coaching change is made, he will pay the big bucks to a very good coach. Coach Fisher if fired now or at the end of the season will have another job and will do very well. It has just been too, long with one team. I love the Titans because they are my hometown team, regardless who is the owner, coach, or QB. Thanks, to Mr Adams for bringing the team to Nashville!

By: MrT on 10/19/09 at 11:46

This is depressing...I don't know how many more games I can watch!

By: jps13pat on 10/19/09 at 3:39

And with the #1 overall selection in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select...

It's hard for me to say that we should fire Jeff Fisher. You don't fire someone unless you have somebody in line to hire than he is. So who would that be? Cowher is only name I can think of that is available and might be as good. You would have to fork out some major bucks for that dude.

It's simply time to face the music. We're cheering for a team that is unexpectedly rebuilding. We don't have depth in the secondary or at LB, and we'll be losing Bullock at the end of the season. We don't have anybody on the D-Line that can create a pass rush. We don't have a legit #1 WR. Our center is old and nearing retirement. We have major questions at the QB position, and our RB's are inconsistent. One has fumble issues and the other one is home run or bust.

Perhaps Underwood and Reinfeldt were huddling discussing what would be their own fate. Reinfeldt has been better than Floyd Reese I will give you that, but at some point you've got to bring in somebody who can figure out how to keep your best players in a Tennessee uniform for the long haul.

By: jps13pat on 10/19/09 at 3:41

meant to say "You don't fire someone unless you have somebody in line to hire that is better than he is."

I also want to add that we're lacking in special teams players too. We're a rebuilding football team any way you look at it.

By: jps13pat on 10/19/09 at 3:41

By: TITAN1 on 10/19/09 at 3:43

Cowher is old school like Fisher, as for the money Fisher is the highest paid coach in the NFL.

By: TitansFan035 on 10/19/09 at 3:55

TITAN1, ACCEPT THE FACT JUST LIKE THE REST OF US HAVE. TITANS SUCKS!! TITANS-HAYNESWORTH=0-6!!

By: jwk6179 on 10/19/09 at 3:56

Titan1, if Bud Adams REALLY CARES for the Titan Fans and the city of Houston, he would Have moved here with his team and become a part of the community instead of staying in Houston. Every other NFL franchise that has moved from one city to another, the owner of said team HAS ALSO MOVED TO THAT CITY and BECAME A PART OF THE COMMUNITY. When the Colts moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, Robert Irsey also moved to Indianapolis. When the Browns moved from Cleveland to Baltimore, Art Modell also moved to Baltimore. When the Cardinals moved St. Louis to Pheonix, Bill Bidwell moved to Pheonix. The same can be said about the Raiders and Rams when they moved, Al Davis and Georgia Frantirie (sp) didn't stay in LA, they moved to Oakland and St. Louis, respectfully. Yet Bud Adams refused to move to Nashville and become a part of the Nashville Community. If he really wanted to be in Nashville and REALLY CARED ABOUT THE CITY OF NASHVILLE and TITAN FANS, nmot just their money, he would have moved to Nashville and ACTUALLY ENDEAR himself to the citizens of Nashville, not just the ones that live in NeverNeverland.

By: TITAN1 on 10/19/09 at 7:02

TitanFan035, I was right about you not being a Titan fan, just a troll. Any Titan fan knows we may miss Albert some in the run game, but not much, but he has done nothin in Washington except stay hurt.

jw, you really need to get over it. The Titans are going to be here for many years to come. Your jealousy and envy over the following that our hometown Titans get just kill you. You are embarrassing yourself.

By: house_of_pain on 10/20/09 at 10:25

jwk has a friend? Go figure...