CJ says he's headed to Nashville to meet with Titans officials

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 5:48pm

Chris Johnson finally is coming to Nashville. Whether or not he stays is far from certain.

Johnson posted on his Twitter account Tuesday afternoon that he was “Flying out to Nashville tonight to meet with Joel [Segal] and the GM in the morning to see which way were going. Could get better or worst.”

Segal is his agent, and the "GM" is, of course, Titans general manager Mike Reinfedlt, who has been steadfast in his refusal to negotiate while the record-setting running back was not with the team.

Johnson opted not to show for the start of training camp and stayed away throughout the three-plus week process, which ended a day earlier than scheduled Monday, in an attempt to force the team to renegotiate his contract, which has two years remaining.

His absence subjected him to a fine of $30,000 per day under the NFL’s new collective bargaining agreement with the players. It also cost him one year of accrued service toward free agency.

During that time, some other top offensive players agreed to new — and sizable — contracts with their teams. Arizona agreed to an eight-year, $120 million deal ($50 million guaranteed) with wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald over the weekend. And on Monday, tackle Joe Thomas agreed to a seven-year $84 million ($44 million guaranteed) pact with Cleveland.

Johnson, the 2009 offensive player of the year, said he wants to be paid as one of the top offensive players in the league.

Reinfeldt has said only that the team is prepared to make him the highest-paid running back in league history. Running backs typically have commanded less than quarterbacks, tackles and wide receivers.

“You’re comparing a running back, a quarterback, and a receiver; I don’t know how they compare in all the breakdowns,” coach Mike Munchak said Sunday. “… I’m sure [Fitzgerald’s contract] is something that will get attention, but I’m not sure how much that will affect us.”

Reinfeldt has conceded that the team would negotiate if he is willing to take part in meetings yet not risk injury by participating in workouts.

Players had Tuesday off and were scheduled to resume workouts Wednesday.

By: serr8d on 8/23/11 at 5:06

He needed to be there, in training camp, weeks ago. The Titans Front Office told him to show up and they'd make his day, make him the top-paid RB in the league. He thinks he's due QB money. Can you believe it? He was a flash in the pan his rookie season; he's not going to get another rookie season like that again. Teams have his number now; he'll be lucky to get 1,300 yards this season.

Stubborn and ignorant is no way to go through life, son.

By: tn.native on 8/23/11 at 5:53

This circumstance shows that cj is more interested in dollars than being one of the team. I think players ought to be paid according to their ability but this kind of behavior just tarnishes their character. How can a team feel like a team when you have a guy that does not show up for work on time, makes demands from afar, and tweets about it as if he is holding all the aces. The last time I looked it wasn't chris johnson and the titans. It's more exciting to me to see the up and coming young players that work their butts off to make the team and play like a team player. To lose $30,000 a day by not honoring his contract makes him less of a pro and more like some self appointed royalty. Maybe he can win some ball games but I wouldn't wear a jersey with his number to support a team that is seriously trying to rebuild.

By: grassyknoll on 8/23/11 at 7:04

General Patton always said, "we go fight with the soldiers that we have". CJ is not a soldier in any sense of the word. It is just continuously "all about me."

Hopefully, the GM and the coach will stand up for the team, the fans and the city. Plenty of other good soldiers out there. Last Saturday night showed we already have other good running backs.

Just another version of VY. Most fans have already turned on him. Send him packing.

By: dargent7 on 8/24/11 at 5:24

This guy needs a psychiatrist. And fire his "agent" who's gambling on CJ's success in negotiations.What's an agent get? 20%.
What's this gangster want? A QB's salary? One like Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady...?
Never going to happen.
He got lucky 2 years ago. Then promised 2,500 yds, and fell way short.
So now is the time to play a winning hand? No.

By: therapacize47 on 8/24/11 at 8:29

Dump him. Dump him. Dump him. Dump him. Dump him. Dump him. My outlook may be looked at as strange in 2011, but I was raised to honor commitments, even when they are not in my favor. I was taught to keep my word, even when I didn't want to. I learned that integrity will take me farther in life than an extra few dollars. Part of this education came from sports heroes of the day, probably the biggest part. Most professional sports figures are either positive role models or stay out of sight when off the playing field. But those who seem to shine are sending a horrible message to the young people who lionize them. Another message these same young people need to receive is that there are always consequences for any behavior. I hate it when someone like Mr. Johnson is so outspoken in his refusal to honor commitments he made. I hate it even more when these situations/events are rewarded with more money, prestige, benefits.

By: BenDover on 8/24/11 at 8:31

What good is a running back on which you can't rely to convert a 3rd and 1 80% of the time?

By: BenDover on 8/24/11 at 8:33

I love to watch CJ break those big plays but on 3rd and short or 4th and short he's useless.

By: HenryB on 8/24/11 at 9:00

I'm with you, thera -- dump him. And dump him without any respect.

By: not_guilty on 8/24/11 at 9:37

Perhaps Goldteeth does not realize that he has very little leverage in the negotiations. It's not like he can offer his services to another team. If CJ would rather sit on his @ss than play football this season, let him sit.

It is true that the Titans are a better team with Johnson than without him. Of the three years that CJ has played, however, the Titans won thirteen games only when LenDale White shared the running back duties.

If I were calling the shots for the management, I would offer Goldteeth a base salary of, say, $4 million per year, with a half million dollar bonus for each regular season game that the team wins and $1 million for each playoff game. That would afford CJ an opportunity to prove his value to the team.

By: jwk6179 on 8/24/11 at 9:45

Do you know desevres to happen to Chris Johnson? Go ahead and sign him to a big contract and hope he tears his ACL and MCL in one of his knees on the very first play in which touches the football to end his season (and possibly his career) and then have the Titans turn around and SUE him for all that GAURANTEED Money they gave him.

By: jwk6179 on 8/24/11 at 9:51

The REAL MONEY in sports comes from ENDORSEMENT DEALS (Peyton Manning, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods before his marital problems, Tom BRady, Drew Brees) but Chris Johnson doesn't understand you don't get endorsement deals from anybody when you look like Lil' Wayne (Dreadlocks, Goldteeth and Multiple Tattoos) or a THUG!!!

By: JohnGalt on 8/24/11 at 11:29