Kearse inactive, not seen on Titans' bench

Monday, October 12, 2009 at 12:55am

Defensive end Jevon Kearse was a healthy scratch for the Tennessee Titans on Sunday night, and was not spotted on the sideline either for the game against the Indianapolis Colts.

The Titans decided to bench their starting left defensive end before their nationally televised game with the Indianapolis Colts, instead going with second-year man William Hayes and third-year pro Jacob Ford on that side.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher explained the move made as wanting to keep backup right defensive end Dave Ball active for Sunday night’s game.

“I have been deactivating Dave Ball for a number of weeks now, and I wanted to get Dave an opportunity to play,” Fisher said.

Asked if Kearse was on the sidelines with the Titans other inactive players during the game, Fisher said, “I’m not sure. I couldn’t see.”

Media members on the sideline and in the press box indicated that they did not see Kearse on the sideline in street clothes. Titans players asked where Kearse was did not verify one way or the other if he was not on the sideline.

“It’s unfortunate that a really good player like Jevon didn’t get to play tonight,” defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch said. “But it’s not the worst problem in the world to have that you have five players capable of getting out there and making plays like we have.”

Harper injured

The Titans devastated secondary took another hit Sunday night when veteran Nick Harper broke his right forearm early in the third quarter.

Harper is the second Titans defensive back to suffer such a fate, as nickelback Vincent Fuller broke his forearm two weeks ago against the New York Jets.

Starting cornerback Cortland Finnegan missed his second straight game with a hamstring injury, leaving the Titans with rookies Jason McCourty and Ryan Mouton on the field the rest of the game.

It is not known how long Harper might be out, but Fuller’s injury was regarded as a 4-6 week injury after requiring surgery. Harper was already wearing a cast when he reappeared on the sideline in street clothes later in the second half.

“I need to go in and talk to the doctors right now,” Harper said after the game. “They are calling some guys, trying to set something up, and they are going to let me know.”

Questionable calls?

That the Colts went 93 yards in just 47 seconds before the half was nothing short of amazing. However, the Titans aided and abetted them with a pair of roughing the passer calls, one on Kyle Vanden Bosch for hitting Peyton Manning in the knee, and the other on Jacob Ford for hitting him late.

Manning did indicate that he would have to have his knee checked out because of the hit from Vanden Bosch.

“I don’t ever want to get a penalty to hurt the team. I don’t know personally if I could have done anything different on my end, but I understand the rules,” Vanden Bosch said.

Ford wondered if perhaps officials didn’t give Manning, one of the league’s top stars, a little bit of the benefit of the doubt on what he thought was a questionable call.

“I thought I took one step and hit him. The ref said I couldn’t hit him like that,” Ford said. “I thought he mean you can’t hit him in the head. I hit him with my shoulder in his chest. It wasn’t head-to-head contact, so I don’t understand the call, but I’ve got to see it on film.

“They got Kyle earlier in the end zone, and he couldn’t do anything to stop from falling and they threw a foul on him for falling at his legs. I know it’s a business and everything, but I don’t really agree with the way they protect certain players more than others.”

Young mops up

With the Titans down 31-9 with 7:26 to play, Fisher inserted Vince Young in for Kerry Collins. Young went 0-for-3 passing, but did run six yards for a first down.

The change at quarterback apparently won’t be a permanent one, though, according to Fisher.

“Kerry is our starter, and when games get out of hand either way, we put [Young] in,” Fisher said. “Kerry's not the problem.”

Collins finished 19 of 32 for 164 yards with one interception.

Asked if he thought this was his opportunity to perhaps gain more playing time, Young was diplomatic as he was when asked earlier in the week.

“That’s not up to me. I’ve just got to sit back and see what they say,” Fisher said. “Right now, I don’t have any answers for you on that. All I can do is wait for Coach Fisher.”

Stevens hurt

Tight end Craig Stevens’ night was a short one as he suffered a concussion on the opening kickoff, and appeared to be knocked out as he collided with teammate Michael Griffin while making the tackle on T.J. Rushing.

Both Titans players were down momentarily, but Griffin got up fairly quickly, and played the entire game.

By: frank brown on 10/12/09 at 4:57

Can you imagine what the house cleaning will look like after this season is over. The only people left may be Jeff Fisher,Cortland Finegan and Tony Brown.

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 7:09

Kerry Collins is being over PAID ~~~

0-5 soon to be 0-6
If the colts only scored 14 points the titans still ONLY scored 9 POINTS all field goals. Bye the way it’s not Kerry’s fault again. The Titans bench Jevon Kearse!!!!!! PLEASE tell me what has Vanden Bosch DONE THIS YEAR WITH OUT Mr. Albert Haynesworth? Vanden Bosch has NO sacks NONE!!! Why not bench Vanden Bosch (white) I forgot I am in Tennessee.

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 7:14

0-8
KERRY'S NOT THE PROBLEM!!!!! LOL

By: gid on 10/12/09 at 7:21

blktenn
Why do you always have a racist comment in your posts? I guess your just a racist

By: gdiafante on 10/12/09 at 8:08

Oh yeah, once VY went in the game, there was an explosion of offensive points....

OOPS

By: jwk6179 on 10/12/09 at 9:16

Last week, John McLain of the Houston Chronicle stated that Bud Adams wants a Super Bowl win before he dies and that if the NFL goes to an Uncapped Season in 2010 or 2011, he will open up the BANK VAULTS to bring in the kind of talent it takes to WIN THE SUPER BOWL. Every season, the Titans are at least $25 to $30 million UNDER THE SALARY CAP and he doesn't spend any of that money. What makes John McLain or anyone else think he will start spending money without a salary cap when doesn't spend it with a salary cap. I bet Bud's got money that hasn't seen the light of day in so long that when he takes it out of his wallet, Abe Lincoln has to put on sunglasses.

By: gdiafante on 10/12/09 at 9:44

John McClain is a narcissistic oaf. If he says it, you can pretty much trust the opposite is true.

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 10:03

How many touch downs have the titans scored un kerry ????????
Put it on the defense RIGHT !!!

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 10:05

John McClain is a drunk who comes on the radio and says what he think titans fans what to hear. Half of his statments are not TRUE !!!!

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 10:08

John McLain of the Houston Chronicle

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which there is an
inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with
one's self.
A person with narcissistic personality disorder:

Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
Has feelings of self-importance
Exaggerates achievements and talents
Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
Requires constant attention and admiration
Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
Has obsessive self-interest
Pursues mainly selfish goals

By: localboy on 10/12/09 at 10:23

blktenn - sounds like a description of that whole radio program (except for Nik the Stick - he's cool).

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 11:22

True..

By: junglejim on 10/12/09 at 11:38

the titans suck like a hungry pig...

By: junglejim on 10/12/09 at 11:40

kearse probally got caught doing something bad and fisher wouldn't let him play

By: frank brown on 10/12/09 at 12:13

blktenn

Thank you for your defintion of narcissistic. I do not know if that definition qualifies as a disorder but 90% of the successful people I have met in my lifetime have every single qualification you mention.

I would bet that every single Senator and every single Wall Street executive meets your qualification list. I know for a fact that I do.

By: courier37027 on 10/12/09 at 12:46

gdia, first and foremost John McClain is a shill not afraid to pimp or promote anything that involves him. Then his predictions are a combination of bad information and pabulum for Code Blue nation. Very few times will he live up to what he incorrectly wrote. One such example was when a radio caller took McClain to task for calling Vince Young a leader, can't miss prospect. With some grousing McClain reversed that prediction once it was proven wrong with his own words.

Anyone notice Code Red shirts al LP Field second level last night? Wait, those were empty seats. I thought TSU had a Sunday night game there were so many available seats.

By: wayneCaluger on 10/12/09 at 12:53

Let’s see The Titans Lose AGAIN. Now let’s blame the defense. NOT Kerry’s fault AGAIN!!!! Oh I see it was Collins that gave up another 300 yards in passing and allowed another team to score over thirty points. Where was Collins on defense? The defensive line or secondary?

Lets face it, we don't have a defense capable of stopping anyone and we don't have a NFL quality starting quarterback. What we have in Collins is a good backup and with VY is a great college who cannot run any know pro offense much less read defensive alignments and make offensive changes at the line of scrimmage like Payton , McNab or a host of other good NFL quarterback .

Hey VY got his shot, 0-3 but not interceptions since he lit the grass up with shoe lace throws making sure no body could catch the ball. I know he came in with a little over 7 minutes, but a good NFL starter quality quarterback like McNab or Manning can run the field in less than two minutes. With our great defense holding the Colts to a three and out VY should have been able to rack up at least 14 more points making it a 31-23 game and had Collins done his job in holding the Colts to under 31 points we may have won.

Oh well there are only 4 0-5 teams left so our chances to get the number 2 draft choice again improves each week. Has VY got a twin?

By: blktenn on 10/12/09 at 1:33

Kerry Collins completed just 19-of-32 passes for 164 yards and threw one interception before being benched late in a Week 5 loss against the Colts.
Collins made poor decisions and misfired often to open receivers. He was removed from the game in the fourth quarter in favor of Vince Young, but the game was well out of hand by then. The fact the Titans didn't go to Young sooner shows they don't have much faith in him, but eventually they will have to take a look. If the Titans go to 0-6 after a trip to Foxborough next week, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep playing a struggling 36-year-old quarterback.

By: brrrrk on 10/12/09 at 2:21

blktenn said

"Kerry Collins is being over PAID ~~~

0-5 soon to be 0-6
Let’s see The Titans Lose AGAIN. Now let’s blame the defense. NOT Kerry’s fault AGAIN!!!!"

Statistically speaking, the Titans have the second highest on target drop rate in the NFL. The receivers aren't catching the balls and that's Collins fault? Idiot!

By: jwk6179 on 10/12/09 at 5:28

Did you notice that the WRs (Nate Washington, Kenny Britt, Justin Gage) dropped very catchable passes from Vince Young, also, just like they did for Kerry Collins. It's hard to blame the QB when the WRs, TEs (Alge Crumpler, Bo Scafe) and RBs (Chris Johnson, LenWhale White) are dropping VERY CATCHABLE PASSES from the QB and turning over the ball (Crumpler's Fumble, Washington's tip pass)!!!

By: jps13pat on 10/12/09 at 11:48

I was at the game and thought the turnout was very good. In fact, I expected a lot worse after an 0-4 start. When it's all said and done, going to the Titans game is entertainment. But the funny thing is I was miserable through the entire second half of that game. That doesn't exactly make you hop up and down to get to LP Field on Sundays. I'll still go to all of the games, but I certainly can't judge others if they choose not to.

By: jps13pat on 10/12/09 at 11:49

And Frank, I hope we do clean house. There are way too many premadonnas on this team.