Report: Titans' QB search will include closer look at Newton

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 9:34pm

The Tennessee Titans are one of eight NFL teams scheduled to conduct a private workout with Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, according to NFL.com.

Tennessee has the eighth overall pick and is in need of a quarterback. Vince Young will be traded and released and Kerry Collins’ contract is up.

No date was given for the Titans’ workout. According to the report, the workout will be conducted at an undisclosed location.

Coach Mike Munchak has said that the team likely will add a veteran quarterback and draft one. Neither he nor General Manager Mike Reinfeldt have committed to using the first-round pick to get one.

No transactions can be finalized at present, however, because league owners and the NFL Players Association continue to negotiate the terms of a new collective bargaining agreement.

There remain the possibilities that the owners could lock out the players or that the players union could decertify in order to file anti-trust against the league. Either development would bring all league business to a halt.

“You’re going to consider all your options by how much time you have and what the situation is,” Munchak said recently. “We’re going to have to be able to adjust. Maybe there won’t be any kind of lockout. You just don’t know.

“We have to be ready for the best situation, or the worst situation where things don’t get settled until much later.”

Newton took part in the NFL scouting combine last month and was one of the star attractions at Auburn’s pro day on Tuesday.

“I wanted to show everyone what I have been working on since day one,” Newton aid following his workout. “"I didn't feel any pressure. I just wanted to come out here to have fun and compete, because that is the name of the game.”

By: TitansGirl31 on 3/9/11 at 9:37

We do NOT need Cam Newton in Nashville. It's kind of like having VY 2.0. I think it would be too much trouble for a rebuilding staff and already overwrought locker room. Munchak and Palmer need to be looking more toward taking Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder in the 2nd.

By: TITAN1 on 3/10/11 at 5:37

TitansGirl31, I felt the same way at first, but not sure where I stand now. From what I have read and heard his fundamentals and accuracy are much better than VY's. But, I think I like the safer bet on Dalton, Ponder, or Mallet. Even if we do go with a QB early we still need to get a good vet to lead the offense for now.

By: fdanshep on 3/10/11 at 6:52

I am concerned about Cam as well; I do think he will make higher than a 6 on the Wunderlich test, however, which sets him apart from VY.

Likely the happiest Titan regarding the coaching change is Rusty Smith. It appeared that he had been banished to the mines but will at least have new coaches looking at him this year.

By: NewYorker1 on 3/10/11 at 9:24

I do NOT want any more black quarterbacks to play for the Titans and have their careers destroyed by the fans, the coaches, and the team. I use to support the Titans but when they Boo'ed VY, they lost a fan. I HATE the Titans and hope they never make it to the SB again. Black guys, if you are reading this, please do not come play for the Titans. You will be Boo'ed and your careers destroyed.

By: royt5 on 3/10/11 at 12:20

I'd really like to see them work with Randy Smith more. This guy can throw the ball. He really had a rough game when he played, but probably all rookie quarterbacks might not have done any better. I hope they will give him a chance.

By: gdiafante on 3/10/11 at 1:22

VY destroyed his own career. And race has nothing to do with it, except with the completely ignorant.

By: wayneCaluger on 3/10/11 at 4:17

I agree, perhaps the New Yorker1 needs to check the New York teams roster all the way up to Buffalo. Warren Moon and Steve McNair careers were not destroyed by the fans, he coaches, and the team, if you care to compare these two quality professionals to the spoiled immature brat VY.

It appears some time ago New Yorker1 told the Jets, Giants and Bills he doesn't want any black quarterbacks to play for them as well . Completely ignorant. Do us all a favor and go back to New York where there is no QB racial issues if that is what you believe.

I think Rusty Smith might pan out if given a chance. None of the guys coming out of the draft are going to be able to help us right of the bat. Need to pick up QB with some NFL experience to anchor the team to give Rusty and/or whatever rookie QB we pick up via the draft. Other than picking up a vet anything else will be a work in progress hoping you don't destroy their confidence as they learn the ropes.

By: FAMUAce on 3/10/11 at 10:27

@gdia, Vince has had his share of lowlights, but NYer has a legitimate gripe. I believe the same way he does about how the fans and Jeff Fisher treated Vince Young. One statement from Fisher sums it all up: "Kerry gives us our best chance to win ball games..." this statement coming after 59-0 mashing in Foxboro leaving the Titans 0-6. Kerry Collins gives us the best chance to win with a negative passing output that day and a 0.0 QB Efficiency Rating. Like I said, Vince made some missteps; he was growing up in the limelight. Some mature faster than others and some mature faster in the eyes of the public if the media likes you. However, in spite of those self-destructive steps and the additional "help" from the Titans' coaching staff and the local media (who let's be honest never wanted him here in the first place), he STILL is the franchise leader in winning percentage. I wonder what success is to some folks if winning 60% of your starts in the NFL is considered failure.