With sale of single-game tickets, Titans see no end to sellout streak

Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 8:48pm

Times change, as most things do.

Don MacLachlan, however, considers the NFL franchise’s streak of consecutive sellouts at LP Field timeless.

If the Tennessee Titans executive vice president has his way that run – 144 games (preseason, regular season and postseason included) and counting – will endure this season and every season in perpetuity. A significant step in that direction comes 10 a.m. Friday when the sale of single-game tickets for the 2013 season commences.

“Selling tickets is a challenging thing for everybody right now,” MacLachlan said. “I think that we’ve worked as hard this offseason as we possibly could. … We’ve tried to aggressively work with our fan base and focus groups to figure out what they want.”

Roughly 3,500 seats to the 10 games (eight regular season, two preseason) are available, as has been the case since the team moved into the stadium with the start of the 1999 season.

For many years, fans camped out for days to be at or near the front of lines for the start of single-game tickets. Often, the vast majority of available seats for the entire season sold within a matter of hours.

That passion for an opportunity to watch games in person has faded in recent years. MacLachlan attributes the shift to several factors, including the opportunity to purchase tickets online and technology innovations that have led some to prefer the comforts of home on gameday.

Teams and the NFL have tried to address some of those issues in recent years. The Titans, for example, installed state-of-the-art video boards two years ago, added elevators to carry spectators to the upper decks and offered incentives designed to enhance the in-stadium experience. They also beefed up their sales staff.

Season tickets have been renewed at a rate of approximately 97 percent annually and the sellout streak continues, albeit as a result of more sustained sales effort.

“With each passing year you work hard to keep your season ticket base, and they have been so supportive,” MacLachlan said. “The enhancements a year and a half ago really, really helped us with the game day experience and the things the fans wanted.

“It is a different dynamic right now even than it was a couple of years ago. The days of people lining up and waiting and what have you are kind of behind us.”

Yet he still cannot envision a day when the Titans play to anything less than a full house.

By: TennesseeJeff on 7/12/13 at 6:09

I would like to suggest that enthusiasm to attend games at LP field has dropped along with the Titans record. The best sales program would be to win games including postseason.

By: gid on 7/12/13 at 7:21

If not for the forced PSL's there would not be sell outs. Many games last season were not close to being full.

By: joe41 on 7/12/13 at 8:50

I go to Vanderbilt games now after I sold my Titans PSL. I do take my family to a couple of games per year. It is still fun.

Joe

By: concretemike on 7/12/13 at 12:06

Selling out the seats and filling the seats in the stadium are two very different things. I used to attend three or four games a season but the cost for entertainment value isn't what it used to be.

The Titans seats are very empty in the upper decks and many empty orange seats in club level when the games kickoff of television. After halftime the place empties like there are free cars being given away in the parking lots.

Come on Bud put some money in players and dump these CFL and Arena Football wannabeeeees!!!!!!!

Go Packers!!!!!! If you want to see what a Lombardi Trophy looks like stop by the stadium and see the cases filled with trophies........

By: PKVol on 7/12/13 at 12:52

The price of a ticket to see the Titans is one of the lowest in the league, so pricing isn't an issue, as a matter of fact, the price to see an SEC game at Vandy is higher than a lot of seats at LP Field and LP Field is a much better place to watch a game.

The big issue is that of the 144 consecutive sellouts over 14 seasons, is that number only includes 4 playoff games, wins over Buffalo in 2000 (1999 season) and Pittsburgh in 2003 and losses to Baltimore in 2001 and 2009. The Titans haven't made the playoffs in the last 4 seasons and that is reflective on the ability to sell out.

I was part of the focus groups and the stadium tours the Titans did this off-season. I'm sure that has helped stem the tide of season ticket defections, but I'm not sure what it has done to lure new fans or create additional ticket sales. I would have thought we'd hear about something new for the upcoming season as the ticket on-sale date approached.

It is very convenient for me to attend a game, I leave my house at 10:30 am for a noon kick-off and am home by 4:15 pm. I pay $10 to park which I share with my seat mate.

By: gdiafante on 7/15/13 at 6:59

What I could spend for attending a few games (family of 4) I can get Sunday Ticket and enjoy the games I want in the luxury of my own home without the hassle of traffic, ignorant drunks or the highly inflated concessions. It's just not worth it.

By: jwk6179 on 7/15/13 at 12:02

How many people were in line on Friday at LP Field when the single game tickets went on sale? According to 104.5 The Zone's Mid-Day 180, only one person was in line when the ticket box opened at 10 A.M. on Friday. The host, Chad Wentworth, Paul Kaharsky and the third member of the team, was making fun at him for camping out for a few days at LP Field to get tickets when he could have gone their Friday morning and gotten the same place in line that he camped out for all week.
Yet, in Saturday's Tennessean, Jim Wyatt made it sound like there was at least a couple of dozen people in line at LP Field to buy tickets when the box office opened. It can't be both, so who's right, The Zone or Tennessean?