Titans slip up, gain infamy with loss to Indianapolis

Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 3:20pm
Staff reports

Several notable starters played through injury but all of the Tennessee Titans had their pride wounded Sunday. As a result, their playoff hopes effectively were crippled as well.

The Titans (7-7) committed three second-half turnovers and lost 27-13 to the winless Indianapolis Colts at the Lucas Oil Dome.

The last turnover was an interception thrown by quarterback Matt Hasselbeck in the end zone with 7:19 remaining.

The Colts (1-13) rushed for 205 yards and put the game away on Donald Brown’s 80-yard touchdown run with 3:26 to go. Brown finished with 161 yards on 16 carries.

Hasselbeck played through a calf injury and completed 27 of 40 passes for 223 yards. The number of completions matched his season-high but so did his two interceptions, the first of which Jacob Lacey returned 32 yards for a touchdown that gave the Colts a 17-6 lead late in the third quarter.

Indianapolis went ahead to stay on Dan Orlovsky’s 18-yard touchdown pass to Reggie Wayne on the team's opening drive of the second half. Orlovsky threw for just 82 yards but became the first Colts’ quarterback other than Peyton Manning since 1997 to win a game.

Rookie Jake Locker replaced Hasselbeck following the second interception and immediately led a scoring drive that got the Titans back within a touchdown.

Locker’s touchdown pass to Nate Washington with 3:43 left made it 20-13. The first-round draft pick finished 11-for-18 for 106 yards.

Washington played for the second straight week despite an ankle injury and had seven catches for 62 yards.

Jared Cook led all receivers with nine receptions for 103 yards — both career-highs — but also lost a fumble.

Running back Chris Johnson had eight receptions for 54 yards and 15 rushes for 55 yards. He limped off following his longest run — a 35-yard gain that led to Washington’s touchdown catch but returned to action a short time later.

Tennessee plays its final home game Saturday against Jacksonville.

By: shinestx on 12/18/11 at 4:33

What a disaster... this team SUCKS!

By: Rasputin72 on 12/18/11 at 4:46

The patrons from the 1% have exotic vacations,second homes and country clubs as they laughingly head home from their boxes. The Titans are only a once a week thought.

For the working stiffs whose entire recreational budget is tied up in tickets to the Titans games I wonder how they view this franchise. Do they realize that Bud Adams considers them his moneyballl suckers?

This franchise may not be the worst but they take the cake when comes to fumbling bumbling and pathetic embarrassments. Only the Titans can make you think that are something that they are not.

By: shinestx on 12/18/11 at 5:17

Rasputin, you are a pathetic embarrassment!

By: Bellevue on 12/18/11 at 5:34

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the so called "working stiffs" who continue to pack Bud Adams.wallet by supporting pro sports here in Nashville while the taxpayers of Davidson county are forced to subsidize this franchise.

By: Rasputin72 on 12/18/11 at 5:56

Bellevue, you are absolutely correct however most the hard working Titan fans who think that tomorrow will be better also buy lottery tickets,

By: courier37027 on 12/18/11 at 6:07

Tomorrow morning on The Zone: Frank, Mark and Kevin start talking next season's draft.

By: T-BONE on 12/18/11 at 6:24

Bud Adams and his "merry" band of Texas "TIT-toons" are still laughing their way to the bank! Nashville (native talking here) was a much better place before they came here! So Nashville brace up for the property tax increase that you know is coming! Not to worry Williamson Co. You will not have to pay anymore to subsidize this joke of a "team"!

By: dargent7 on 12/19/11 at 6:51

What were there....9 penalties on the first 4 punt returns?
Even Dan Fouts said this game was "flat".
And gansta "CJ" our $50 million boy, had 9 carries for 18 yds. in the half.
Think he cares that he's on a losing team? For $50. million?
All that needs to be said is the winnless Colts beat one team this year....US!

By: tytanz27 on 12/19/11 at 7:41

I'm @ a loss for words over this loss...i'm trying to keep some sort of perspective. I dont think any of us saw anything more than an 8-8 season when the schedule was released. But,w/the way the season unfolded. Indy.having a down yr.,houston having all those injuries. It gave me false hopes. I just have a hard time seeing how anyone w/a pulse can be motivated by monotone munchack...only good thing to come out of the last 2 wks.is locker def.appears to be the real deal. A full off-season & the addition of a legit.deep threat might restore my faith in this team...

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 9:27

LOL! The whiners are out in force today! I can't wait to see what they complain about next!

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 11:16

T-Bone, try finding positives in life and you will be a happier person. Dwell on what YOU think is a negative and it will eat you up and make you miserable. Have a blessed day!

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 11:18

C, I thought you didn't listen to the Zone?

By: bfra on 12/19/11 at 11:22

Titan1 - Everybody knows your MO, after your hip, hip hoorah stayed plaster all over the board for "spitman", aka thug, pacman! Get with it, the Titans stink right now, and every loyal fan knows that.

By: MusicCity615 on 12/19/11 at 11:22

The Titans need to play with some serious emotion, that you see other teams play with. I blame the coaches, specifically the offensive coordinator with the run, run, run, run, short pass punt approach. IT IS NOT WORKING.

Get this team right, hopefully we can still make the playoffs. GO TITANS

By: Ask01 on 12/19/11 at 11:59

Bellevue and Rasputin72 express some valid points, particulalrly as concerns the padding of Bud Adams' wallet.

I hasten to point out, however, the vast majority of voters approved the construction of the stadium so Nashville could have the privilege of declaring to the world, we now matter, we have us a Professional National Football League team!

Those who are complaining, (not whining, TITAN1) if they voted for the referendum, must acknowledge they are to blame. Take comfort in an observation borrowed from the fictional character, Pogo Possum, created by Walt Kelly, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

For those who opposed the deal, envisioning the "good deal" brokered by our former mayor, Phil Bredesen, becoming a monkey on the backs, and millstone around the necks of taxpayers, join me in a rousing chorus of, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 12:37

Ask01, I voted for the stadium and I would again. Having the NFL here has been great for Nashville, so there is no "I told you so" from the dreaded "No" people. And yes, they are whining just as they do about everything.

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 12:38

barf, you really need to get you facts straight.

By: Ask01 on 12/19/11 at 1:04

TITAN1, I suppose we must agree to disagree. I haven't seen any of the financial boomtimes touted as a consequence of bringing the NFL here.

In fact, aside from the seasonal, part time, and I suspect minimum wage jobs created to support events held at the venue, and the increased traffic at some eateries, as there are quite a few empty storefronts downtown, I am at a loss to actually name one benefit from having a team aside from keeping the more rabid fans appeased.

I don't have the figures, but I have a difficult time believing the cost of building, operating, and maintaining the facility we built for Bud is being covered by revenue generated at the stadium or by taxes collected as a byproduct of sales ancillary to the stadium. Nor do I believe these monies will ever be recouped.

I, like you, have not changed my original position, though. I would vote against it again today, and suspect many others, unlike you, would change sides and join me to defeat the proposal.

None of that matters, as we are in over our heads now, and I do want to see the Bud Hole turn a profit just so the mayor and city council, whomever that my be when the bottom falls out, don't have to rob Peter to pay Paul, stealing money from other city programs to shore up a failing venture such as the stadium.

We both, you and I, are smart enough to realize, I hope, this is all an exercise in typing as none of our opinions will exert any influence over the future course of events.

No hard feelings, have a great Holiday Season, whatever your beliefs.

By: bfra on 12/19/11 at 1:46

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 11:38

barf, you really need to get you facts straight.
===========================================Are you back tracking on all the praise you lavished on spitman? Even posting, "it didn't matter what he did off the field". By the way, he has another spitting incident, this time in an opposition player's face. You really do back some lowlifes!

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 2:00

Listen, you have a memory problem. This will be the last time I tell you this, so try to follow along or get an adult to explain it to you. I said Jones was being stupid for going to the places where he was getting into trouble. But, that he had done nothing to be kicked off the team for, that is until the Vegas incident. That is when I as a fan had had enough. There is another poster here who said "It did not matter what he did off the field" and I think that was even after the Vegas incident. So, if you want to live in the past you really need to get your facts straight.

By: bfra on 12/19/11 at 5:57

Titan1 - Really don't blame you, must be embarrassing the way you sucked up to the little thug. Denial is too late! You should really find out who posted that, using your user name.

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 7:07

Facts hurt you, don't they barf? You act like you are 12 years old. Grow up, sonny and get your facts straight next time.

By: bfra on 12/19/11 at 8:21

Titan1 - So you obviously relate to 12 yr. olds, since you can't even type a user name correctly! Thugs usually attract the immature.

By: TITAN1 on 12/19/11 at 11:23

You thought I typed your user name wrong accidentally, barf? LOL! What I said is the truth and what you said is due to a bad memory or a flat out lie. Grow up, sonny. Since you lie about past events or you can't remember you might want to try living in the present, but stop whining like a two year old.

By: bfra on 12/21/11 at 2:14

Titty1 needs to learn how to type, instead of whinning like a baby.