Vanderbilt AD says transfer issues a matter for athletes, coaches only

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 5:31pm

On Friday, Vanderbilt granted freshman forward Sheldon Jeter his release so he could play closer to home.

Evidently, there are restrictions on how close to home.

Tuesday the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Vanderbilt has blocked Jeter from transferring to the University of Pittsburgh and competing on scholarship for the Panthers. Jeter is from Beaver Falls, Pa., approximately 40 miles from Pittsburgh.

Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings did not immediately return a message left on his phone.

Athletic director David Williams said when a student-athlete wants to transfer he or she must be granted a release from their coach. A list of prospective schools must also be presented to the coach, who can deny a transfer request.

Williams said he is unaware of which schools Jeter asked to be released to.

“We, as an administrative body, stay out of the middle of that,” Williams said. “I don’t investigate that. I don’t ask about it.”

Williams said only Stallings and the school’s compliance directors know which schools Jeter requested. But compliance can’t release that information under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Jeter can appeal the decision outside of the athletics department through a university appeals process, Williams said. Since Williams began overseeing the athletic department in 2003, he can only remember a student going through the appeals process twice – a football player and a swimmer.

If he wins the appeal, Stallings can’t challenge the final decision. If Jeter is denied again, though, Williams said he could extend the appeal process to the NCAA.

“Although I don’t think the NCAA basically overruled any university,” Williams said.

In just one season at Vanderbilt, the 6-foot-7, 215-pound Jeter averaged 5.5 points and 3.4 rebounds in 17.5 minutes while playing in all 33 games.

On Friday he wrote on his Twitter account, “Due to some personal issues, I am leaving Vanderbilt University to be closer to my family.”

By: VandyinMempho on 5/22/13 at 5:17

It's time to thank CKS for his service and allow him to "retire"

By: Rasputin72 on 5/22/13 at 5:44

Atta Boy, Stallings ,continue to confirm what a jerk you are.

By: rldavenport@com... on 5/22/13 at 7:33

I have to agree...this situation of coaches refusing to let athletes transfer to specific schools is getting to be ridiculous. I think it shows coaches to be paranoid little babies.

Also, David Williams, don't give us these excuses. You're the AD, for crying out loud...you're supposed to ask about these matters. Give me a break, sir.

By: tomba1 on 5/22/13 at 1:25

If I were a recruit and stallings, williams, or vandy contacted me, I would tell them ALL to go to h... and hang up the phone!

As for stallings, this isn't about coaching at all. It's him flexing his muscles and bullying this kid around for one last time. As for williams, he's a highly respected and extremely well compensated member of the vaunderbilt community and should not be expected to stoop into such trivial matters as the fair treatment of student athletes. That's conduct unbecoming of a vaunderbilt athletic director. He should be left alone so he can tend to more pressing issues like packing for his upcoming boondoggle to destin.

I'm sure the rest of the team is watching this closely. Hopefully prospective recruits, if there are any, are watching closely too, for their own sake.

By: 4gold on 5/24/13 at 8:32

Bologna! Oh ye so eager to criticize. Time to make these spoiled athletes stick to their word. If NCAA starts allowing all this team jumping. We will have desperate coaches recriting someone elses sophmore and junior prospets that show promise. My guess is Kevin got wind of someone putting a bug in Jeters ear. "Come play for me at Pitt" Jeter was showing signs of promise end of year and it got someones attention at Pitt.

Go Dores, Preds, Titans! Go Nashville a great place to live!