VU falls victim to upset many predicted; Vols survive

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 4:57pm
Staff reports
mst.jpg
Murray State players celebrate upset win over Vanderbilt on Thursday.

Many of the experts were correct.

They said San Diego State were likely to give Tennessee fits, while Vanderbilt was considered a prime candidate to be upset in the first round of the NCAA tournament by TV analysts and even President Barack Obama.

At the end of the day Thursday, the Vols in Providence saw a last-second attempt by the Aztecs fall short, but the Commodores allowed a game-winning basket to Danero Thomas as time expired and was eliminated with a 66-65 loss to Murray State at San Jose.

"It was a miracle play," Murray coach Billy Kennedy said. "It was something I drew up at the end of the game. Something we've never done before, and ... fortunately, Danero Thomas made a shot."

It was the second time in as many NCAA appearances the 20th-ranked Commodores (24-9) were seeded fourth and were eliminated by a No. 13 seed. The same thing happened in 2008.

For Murray State (31-4) it was just the second NCAA tournament victory in history.

"This time in March anybody can win," Murray State forward Isaac Miles said. "So I mean it's no seeds, a lot of upsets. They're a good team but ... we've been working all year to get to this level."

Jermaine Beal gave Vanderbilt a one-point lead when he made two free throws with 12.7 seconds to play.

The Commodores’ defense got a stop on the ensuing possession when B.J. Jenkins missed a 3-pointer with six seconds to play. The battle for the rebound went out of bounds off VU forward Andre Walker with 4.2 seconds to play and returned possession to Murray State, the Ohio Valley Conference champion.

"The kid just made a good shot, and off the dribble," VU coach Kevin Stallings said. "I wish we could have been there to contest it a little bit better. But really the game could have been over had we gotten that loose ball. We got them to take a terrible shot when they came down the first time, it was almost an air ball and then the ball glances off the rim, and they said it went out on us."

Freshman John Jenkins scored a team-high 13 points for Vanderbilt, which overcame an eight-point second-half deficit. He gave his team its first lead of the second half (58-56) on a 3-pointer 4:48 to go and briefly stretched that advantage to four points with a jump shot 1:02 later.

Beal and Ogilvy each finished with 12 points.

Miles led all scorers with 17 points. Jenkins and Thomas chipped in 14 and 11, respectively, for the Racers.

"They only scored 30 points in the second half," Stallings said. "It wasn't like our defense was bad in the second half. We defended them just fine. But we didn't defend them well enough.

"We needed one more stop and we didn't get it."

Vols survive, move on to face surprising Ohio

Melvin Goins' three-pointer with 13 seconds left helped erase his ill-timed foul and lifted sixth-seeded Tennessee to a 62-59 win over San Diego State in their first round Midwest Regional game.

After his basket gave UT (26-8) a four-point lead, Goins fouled the Aztecs' D.J. Gay on a three-point attempt. Gay, who had 16 points for the 11th-seeded SDSU squad, hit all three free throws.

The Vols' Wayne Chism hit two clutch free throws with just under 8 seconds remaining, and Kawhi Leonard missed a shot at the buzzer that could have tied the game for San Diego State (25-9).

The Aztecs, champions of the Mountain West Conference, were looking for their first-ever tournament win.

By: JohnGalt on 3/18/10 at 3:08

Yep. One and done. Hasta la vista, baby.

By: localboy on 3/18/10 at 4:50

blewwww splatt...congrats to the racers

By: TITAN1 on 3/18/10 at 5:37

Props to Vandy on a great season! Racers were the better team and I wish them well.

By: Titan9282 on 3/19/10 at 7:06

Look, I am the biggest Vandy fan. I have been with this team through the good times and the bad, but we play better when we are the underdogs. 2 years ago, this team got a 4 seed and lost to a 13 Sienna seed by 21 points. I thought that was disappointing. Now, I think that we got that behind us and we play a very good Murray State team. However, I felt going into that game that we were the better team. And, then the game started. Vandy had a size advantage, which they did not take advantage of. They got one of their big players in foul trouble early, but did they try and utilize AJ, NO. AJ had 2 points in the first half. They shot HORRIBLY at the free throw line. 17-29. I mean, we will have a good team next year (Man, I feel bad for Beal) but come on, they need to stick with a 8 or 9 seed because they do better when they are a lower seed. I am glad it is over. I need a break with Vandy basketball for a while. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!

By: jwk6179 on 3/19/10 at 7:35

What happened to all the TALK by Vandy fans and the LOCAL SPORTS MEDIA that Vandy was a SHOE IN as a Sweet Sixteen and maybe even the Elite Eight. Vanderbilt fans and Titan Fans are so much alike, High Tournament/Play-Off Seed only to LOSE in the FIRST ROUND and then listen to the Vandy/Titan fans WHINE about the LOSE for the six MONTHS. And these Same Fans and LOCAL MEDIA MEMBERS were SURE that the VOLS would be a first round casualty. That's why you play the games instead of listening to the CRYBABY FANS and MEDIA MEMBERS...GO VOLS!!!!

By: glorib on 3/19/10 at 7:43

Would a, should a, could a. Game's over for the VU men. Go Vanderbilt women!
But yea for any SEC team from now on--unless they are playing VU!

By: TITAN1 on 3/19/10 at 7:55

Give the vols a game or two and they will WHINE about the rims being to tight. LOL!

By: TITAN1 on 3/19/10 at 7:59

jw, your jealousy of the popularity of the Titans even comes out in your comment on a Vandy basketball article. It is the fans of other teams that live here who whine the most, heck you are #1 at it.

By: jwk6179 on 3/19/10 at 8:00

TITAN1, I thought you stated LAST WEEK that YOU WEREN'T GOING to post here anymore because of all the ridicule and negativity that is POSTED here!!!

By: TITAN1 on 3/19/10 at 8:27

I don't think I EVER said I would not post here again. For every whine I can offer you cheese. Sniff sniff, I and you must like Limburger.