VU Football Notes: Logan leaves, plans to transfer

Monday, June 23, 2008 at 1:13am

Reserve defensive end Kikko Logan has left the Vanderbilt football team and plans to transfer to another school. Reasons for his departure have not been disclosed.

VU coach Bobby Johnson had no comment.

Logan, a native of Elba, Ala., redshirted in 2006 and did not play in 2007 while making a position change from linebacker to defensive end. He was a two-time all-region selection at Elba High School.

Logan did not figure into Vanderbilt’s two-deep depth chart at defensive end for the 2008 season.

LET’S CHAT: Vanderbilt senior wide receiver George Smith and senior safety Reshard Langford will accompany Johnson to Birmingham, Ala., next month for the annual Southeastern Conference Football Media Days.

Head coaches and two players from each school will meet with the media July 23-25. The VU contingent will take its turn on the first day.

Smith and Langford, along with center Bradley Vierling, were named Commodore team captains in the spring.

EARLY ARRIVALS Although Vanderbilt’s incoming freshmen aren’t required to report to campus until late July, several have already arrived and are working out or taking summer classes.

Early arrivals include John Cole, wide receiver Akeem Dunham, offensive linemen Michael Bryant and Richard Cagle, defensive linemen Rob Lohr, Ryan Seymour and Johnell Thomas, linebacker Dexter Daniels and defensive backs Casey Hayward, Seandre Richardson and Micah Powell.

Another signee, Archie Barnes of Tampa, Fla., is expected to arrive next month after having signed in February while expecting to be a “grayshirt” recruit, meaning he would not enroll until January.

Vanderbilt, however, had at least two scholarships become available when Logan left the team and defensive end Antonio Wilson changed his mind on national signing day and picked Georgia Tech after having verbally committed to VU.

Barnes, 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, could play a variety of positions.

SECOND CHANCE: Former Vanderbilt football recruit Marcus Dixon, who never made it to Nashville after being sentenced to prison at age 18, is making a push for a spot on the Dallas Cowboys’ roster this summer.

Dixon was set to graduate with honors from Pepperell High School class in Lindale, Ga., in 2003 when a jury found him guilty of statutory rape and aggravated child molestation of a 15-year-old girl. He served 15 months in prison.

Dixon, who claimed the relationship with the girl was consensual, was later acquitted on charges of rape, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and sexual battery. But since the girl was underage, jurors found Dixon guilty of statutory rape, a misdemeanor, and aggravated child molestation, a felony.

With his Vanderbilt scholarship gone, Dixon served his prison time and later enrolled at Hampton University, where he made the Dean’s list while also serving as team captain during three of his four years.

Since signing with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent, the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Dixon has made a strong impression.

For more on Dixon’s story, check out The City Paper sports blog at

Filed under: Sports