Young injures hamstring on 44-yard scramble

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 5:09pm
youngpull.jpg
Vince Young pulls up lame after a long run in the second quarter during the Titans' win Sunday. He did not return. / Mike Strasinger for The City Paper

There was good news and bad news surrounding Vince Young’s injured right knee leading up to Sunday’s 47-7 shellacking of the St. Louis Rams.

The good news was that a 44-yard scramble in the second quarter erased any concerns about the quarterback’s knee that forced him out of Thursday’s practice and caused him to miss practice on Friday.

The bad news was that Young pulled up lame with a right hamstring injury at the end of the run and did not return to the game. Young was taken to the locker room, but returned to watch the second half from the sideline as backup Kerry Collins guided Tennessee’s offense the rest of the way.

“I really feel that I was focusing a lot on my knee this week,” Young said. “Most of the time, I usually get a mile or two miles in and concentrate on my hamstring as well. But I didn’t get a chance to do that, because I was focused on my knee. The good thing about it is it isn’t hurting as much.”

With the game well in hand, Young did the prudent thing and stay off the hamstring.

“I just kind of tweaked my hamstring a little bit, so I just got off of it and told coach, ‘I’m just going to sit it out. I didn’t want to get too bad with it and injure it even worse,’” said Young, whose day ended 6 of 8 for 132 yards and one TD.

Asked if he would be able to play in the Titans’ pivotal game with the Miami Dolphins next Sunday, Young was taking the prudent approach.

“We’ll see. I don’t want to speak too fast right now. I just want to go in and rehab it and take care of it and get it back strong,” Young said.

Coach Jeff Fisher didn’t seem too concerned about the injury at this point.

“He has a mild hamstring right now,” Fisher said. “We’ll just see how he is throughout the week. I kept him warm on the bike, and he would have been able to hand off, and so that gives you some kind of idea [on his condition].”

As for Collins, who was relieved of his starting duties six weeks ago, he was happy to be able to contribute. He indicated that getting first-team reps late in the week while Young nursed his knee injury was helpful.

“Obviously, getting the reps during the week, it made me that much more familiar with what we’re doing. I had the whole day on Friday and a little bit on Thursday,” said Collins, who finished 11 of 19 for 154 yards and one touchdown. “To be able to get some reps later on in the week definitely helped today.”

Collins said he would be ready to go if needed against Miami.

“We’ll just see where Vince is at after tomorrow and Tuesday, and see how he feels,” Collins said. “Whatever I have to do this week, I’ll do. Hopefully, he’ll be back and we’ll get him back in there, but if he’s not ready to go, I’ll look forward to getting ready this week and playing Sunday.”

By: dargent7 on 12/14/09 at 5:34

After last week's game, when VY was wirthing in pain on his back because of his OTHER knee...why is this guy running? THROW the ball! I'm glad KC came in and was successful in winning. But, for a while there, 50% of his perfect passes were being dropped or NOT caught. I hope KC gets to complete the final 4 games for the Titans and go out in style.

By: ncpreader on 12/14/09 at 7:50

Geez dargent7...! Just look at the record since VY has been starting. When KC is in the game, every play is over in just 3 seconds. It is boring to watch. He either hands off or gets rid of the ball too quickly. KC did have a nice pass to Washington late in the game, but KC does not stretch plays out and give receivers a chance to get open. VY is making good reads now and on that run you mentioned VY read that the ENTIRE FIELD was open on the left side. Did you know that is an option for VY on that particular play? Stop HATING on VY ! This dude is the real deal ! Enough already.

By: TITAN1 on 12/14/09 at 9:08

dargent7, VY is now an all around QB, not just one dimensional so he uses the talent God gave him. If he is afraid to use that talent, then he needs to get out of football. Thank God he is not afraid to use it. Perfect passes dropped? You mean like the perfect long bomb from VY Nate dropped last week? BTW, there are three regular season games left not four and I hope VY is the QB especially since he is our present and our future.

By: wayneCaluger on 12/14/09 at 10:53

I agree VY has vastly improved and adds a level of excitement few quarterbacks can do. As exciting as it may be all should aware of the fact punishment dished out in the NFL will take it's toll on VY and that will impact the team as a whole.

Steve McNair is a shinning example of how a quarterback prone to run, not just out-of-the pocket to extend pass plays, have very short careers and the team suffers record wise as a result.

Many were the times with Steve he was unable to practice all week due to the pain requring receivers and his back-ups (O'Donnell and Voleck) to work out timing and pass routes for naught as Steve started the game, in pain and less than at 100%. Yes we had more excitement with McNair and a Super Bowel appearance to boot, but the Titans as a whole had far more losing and 8-8 seasons as a result. By age 32 (two of which was at Baltimore injured most of the time) Steve was out of the NFL.

If VY is the Titans quarterback of the future and ready to plop down $14 million then for both VY sake and that of the team they need to change his style of play taking out some of the run plays. If not then the Titans needs to add a third younger quarterback and fans need to get past hammering of whoever the backups are when they are called on to play.

During McNair eight or so seasons there was an ongoing quarterback controversy starting when O'Donnell took over for the injured McNair taking the team to 6-0 during McNair absence and a similar situation occurred requiring Voleck to take the helm. Fans need to demand a little less running and physical exposure to VY and less bashing and more encourage and appreciation of KC, who is by far the best backup in the NFL today.

If the fans who want KC head succeed in running KC off before we get a promising young quarterback for KC to mentor then when VY is sidelined with injury we will have our own version of a Keith Null as a backup.

This time around the never ending Titan quarterback controversy may cost us a coach. Fisher has a clause in his contract that only him has the say when it comes who he starts. With Bud making his "suggestion" primarily due to fan pressure, has given Fisher an out if he so chooses to use it.

Yes the Titans have done better with VY at the helm and he deserves a small part of credit since it's the defense that has shown the biggest area of improvement. On the other side of the coin to put 100% of the blame for the Titans first six game poor performance on KC is wrong. We should thank our lucky stars we had a KC to fall back on and not a young inexperienced Keith Null like the Rams had as their fall back (we don't have a number 3 QB)

By: karman37206 on 12/14/09 at 3:54

I'm using my husband's login to post so he is not responsible for my comments.

I just wanted to say that I am a major football fan...I love the Titans! Our players are the best. They are Music City's finest "entertainers". The coaches are incredible. And we have 2 AWESOME QBs!!!!!

Now carry on with your comments...thought a woman's point of view would be helpful. Bye!

By: hersh032 on 12/15/09 at 8:12