Young not included in meeting but not prohibited from facility

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 5:04pm

Jeff Fisher wanted to talk to his players about Vince Young on Monday without Vince Young in the room. That’s exactly what he did.

The team issued a statement Tuesday afternoon that said the fifth-year quarterback has not been locked out of the Tennessee Titans’ training facility or locker room in the wake of his actions, which drew a strong reaction from Fisher, during and after Sunday’s 19-16 overtime loss to the Washington Redskins.

“Reports indicating that Vince Young is not welcome at Baptist Sports Park are incorrect,” read the statement, which was attributed to no one person within the organization. “Yesterday, he was informed by a coach at the facility not to attend Monday’s team meeting and was free to leave. The intention was to be able to talk to the team about Young’s situation and how the team would move forward. Players that are on injured reserve are not required to attend team meetings. As of today, he has been placed on injured reserve and all the same rules apply to him as to any other player in that category.”

Fisher revealed that meeting Monday in his regularly weekly press conference.

“I shared with them the facts as to what happened (Sunday),” Fisher said.

Fisher said Young was no longer the team’s starting quarterback after Young stormed out of the locker room within minutes of the completion of Sunday’s game.

He reiterated that stance Monday, when he also revealed the quarterback would be placed on injured reserve because he needs season-ending surgery to repair a torn tendon in his thumb. The injury occurred during the game, and Young’s desire to play through the injury was the impetus for what followed.

“If I had thought that Vince could go out and give us the best chance to win then he would have gone back on the field, but that wasn’t the case in my opinion,” Fisher said. “He tried to throw, he sailed the ball and I was not going to put him on the field knowing ahead of time that he had an injury that would prohibit him from throwing accurately.  Again, it was all about giving ourselves the best chance to win, and that was the decision that was made.”

By: NewYorker1 on 11/23/10 at 4:43

Racism at it's finest.

By: nature on 11/23/10 at 5:25

Racism? Racism? This isn't about racism, this about a man(?) who is spoiled and should have been let go from the Titans a long time ago. If it wasn't for Bud Adams, he would not be here, wasting time, money, and resources. He brought this on himself.
NewYork1, were you here when he stomped his feet, threw a temper tantrum and went missing for a day? People were worried he was going to commit suicide.
And again this man was let back on the team. Now he's been playing 1st string. Michael Vick was busted and prosecuted for dog fighting. Certain people started screaming racism. They screamed racism! This wasn't about racism, this was about abusing, fighting, and killing dogs. Now the man is playing for the Eagles. Rasicm? Both these men are punks. Not black punks,I mean Afro-American punks, just punks.
Again, this man brought this on himself. Do not bring a person's race in this. This is about a man being a man. Knowing right from wrong. Knowing that throwing your gear into the stands when things don't go your way is WRONG! Racism my butt!

By: titanboy on 11/23/10 at 5:51

You know, a few years back there was a player that was receiving his share of ridicule. He thought about quitting after a particular game as he was laying in his hospital room. Jeff fisher went to his room and talked to him and told him he wanted him to stay. Jeff repeatedly stood by this player's side and stuck up for him numerous times no matter what the situation. The guy was a warrier. He played through pain, ridicule, and all of the doubters around. He weathered the storm and came back to lead the team. Ironically this player was none other than Vice Young's hero (Steve McNair). I'm pretty sure Jeff has not changed his personality over the years and would do the same thing for Vince as he done for Steve. For Jeff to take this approach with Vince, there obviously is something vastly different about this situation. Stuff we will probably never know. One thing I do know though is that racism can't possibly have anything to do with

By: dwight14 on 11/23/10 at 5:53

been a young fan since he was at texas..i thought great we got him...oh my what a mess he has turned out to be...vince needs to get his feelings off his shoulders and put his pads back where they belong,in place of his little candy azz feelings..mature vince..you have talent,but momma cant hold ur hand forever...after sunday,its time to move on...course ole bud will ride this till it ruins the titans of any trad value if there is any..but he is a free agent at seasons end so i say bye vince..dont let the door hit u in ur candyazz on the way out...we need a top notch qb..dennis dixon of pittsburgh would be a great fit for our type offense but the steelers will never let him go,hes just to good...let vinnie go and get a man in the draft..a real man instead of this kid that refuses to grow up..what a prima donna hes turned out to be..what a let down..if he had matured,he would have made a great qb...but its useless...

By: bfra on 11/24/10 at 4:44

Only racist, seems to be NY1! Get over it and deal with facts.

By: dargent7 on 11/24/10 at 5:20

I've been watching Young for 5 years. He stinks, on and off the field.
Last year he came in and rescued a 0-6 start by Collins. That was good.
But, the Titans still were a .500 team and lost the playoffs.
This past summer instead of arriving for a charity benefit, Young was brawling in a Dallas strip club at 3:30 AM. Always has some lame mumbling excuse..."I'm a man now, I know what a man is, I'll be manly from now on".
Adams loves him like a son, but we'll see about his free agency.
I went to Sunday's game and he looks like a H.S. QB, no better.
All injured QB's in the NFL come back to the sideline after an injury to cheer the team on. Not Young. He pouts, storms off, and refuses to come back in if he hears 1 "boo" Well, boo-hoo. Good-bye.

By: richgoose on 11/24/10 at 7:37

I do not condone racism. I do see racism as a problem for the black communtiy. What I do not understand about racism is that it is always directed towards the black community and not the Asian community.

I seldom see any racist comments about the Asians. Do the Asians have a culture that is different from the africans.

By: NewYorker1 on 11/24/10 at 8:46

richgoose, you are right. I don't know why we (blacks) are hated so much in this country. If is wasn't for my parent and grandparents, I would be on the next flight out of this country and would never return, which is what I plan to do one day.

By: bfra on 11/24/10 at 8:52

richgoose & NY - The biggest & most racist is NAACP, followed by ACLU!

By: richgoose on 11/24/10 at 8:57

NewYorker1.......I feel your pain and I am white. If I were YOUNGER and had a very marketable skill or the money that I have accumulated I would be out of here immediately if not sooner.

I have enjoyed the very best of the United States because of my birth year. This is going to get real nasty for blacks,whites and asians who are under 30 years of age.
The blacks will suffer most because the white will run out of money and the asians will ignore both parties.

By: fdanshep on 11/24/10 at 10:44

To get back to football for a second, Vince Young will be an albatross to Jeff Fisher or the coach who replaces him, should that happen. It was a bad call on drafting him and we have had to put up with an immature, underachieving prima dona for five years. New York 1, bring a black coach in to replace Fisher- do you think Vince is suddenly going to become an NFL calibre QB? Tune in to ESPN or the NFL network-do you think those pundits are racist? They, black & white, overwhelmingly support Fisher.

By: judyboodo@yahoo.com on 11/24/10 at 11:26

NewYorker1, I'll try to help you with that ticket, maybe we can raise some money to make your trip to the homeland happen sooner rather then later. How much do you need? Until then you should thank your lucky stars that your ancestors were caught and sold into slavery (perhaps by their own countrymen) so you don't have to live in a mud hut and wonder where your next meal and drink of clean water is coming from. But if thats what you want I think you should be GIVEN a ONE-WAY ticket to leave. Please leave your passport at the door when you go out.

By: pswindle on 11/24/10 at 11:34

Fisher has done well with the team. Why is Vince so bitter over everything? Fisher is in charge, and Vince will have to obey his leadeship.

By: cookeville on 11/24/10 at 1:33

New Yorker, I remember when Kerry Collins acted just like Vince; know what happened to him? He went through being fired from three teams until he finally wised up and started flying right. Since then, he has been a model person. Those firings had nothing to do with race, but everything to do with behavior and attitude. The ONLY reason Vince was not let go the first year of his contract is because his grandpa Bud wouldn't allow it. He has been a model for immaturity and childish behavior. But he won't be able to depend on Bud very much longer and then he will be on his own and have to take responsibility for his actions.

By: NewYorker1 on 11/24/10 at 1:35

judyboodo, thanks for the offer, but I'm a seven figure b!tch with a beautiful home in Green Hills and my own business. When I do move, it'll be to Paris or somewhere in Italy. My favorite vacation spots where I feel more welcomed and less harassed because I drive a luxury car or watch police cars stop when they see me in my own front yard.

By: richgoose on 11/24/10 at 2:00

NewYorker 1 .......You certainly know the the best places to go. I look at Paris,Italy and Europe in 1945 and cities in the United States in 1945.

It is difficult to imagine the reversal of fortunes in 65 years. What do you attribute that to ?

By: bfra on 11/24/10 at 2:32

NY - I'm a seven figure b!tch with a beautiful home in Green Hills and my own business.
===========================

We are all in that category, except the b!tch part, just don't like to brag!