On Westmont Avenue, which runs between Estes and Lynnbrook roads, sits a story-and-a-half brick house where Tom and Bay Henderson lived for 62 years. For most of those years the place where the Henderson family lived was a center of activity for children from all over the old Woodmont School neighborhood.
The house was built in 1938, and when the Hendersons moved in the next year, the neighborhood still had a rural appearance. The surrounding land contained more vacant lots than houses, and directly across Westmont was a flat, grassy pasture where the Herbert family kept a few cows, and where neighborhood boys sometimes came to play baseball or football.
Like countless families in the years to come, the Hendersons chose to live in the area because of their children. Woodmont School, a half mile to the southwest, had an excellent reputation, and the Hendersons wanted their daughters to be educated there.
Tom Henderson, who had been a star three-sport athlete at Vanderbilt, began to watch the boys who played in the pasture across the street. After he offered to teach them some of the fundamentals, it wasn