In tough economic times, many people are looking for entertainment values, and Regions Bank delivers with a new program that offers free admission to a different museum or attraction each month.
The new program, which ranges from a concert with the Nashville Symphony to a day at Cheekwood, will get started this weekend with free admission (Feb. 19-20) to the Frist Center for the Visual Arts. The free day coincides with the opening of the new exhibit: Masterpieces European Painting from Museo de Ponce.
“Middle Tennessee is an area that is rich in culture, history and the arts, but in these tough economic times it’s challenging for families to get out and experience everything the area has to offer,” said Jim Schmitz, Middle Tennessee Area President for Regions Bank.
Schmitz said the bank already supports the groups participating in its calendar of free events, but this is more of a marketing effort to coordinate the bank’s charitable donations so they achieve higher-profile attention.
Although not the first financial institution to offer members admission to local attractions, Regions program is unique in that it opens attractions to everyone, not just bank customers.
Bank of America’s “Museums on Us” program also gives free admission to Cheekwood and the Frist Center during the first weekend of each month. But that program is limited to one admission per Bank of America check cardholder.
The schedule for the remainder of 2010 includes:
• March: “Regions Free Days at Cheekwood” on Saturday, March 27 from 9:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, March 28 from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• April: “Regions Free Day at Nashville Children’s Theatre” on Friday, April 23 at 6:30 p.m. This will include a free performance of Charlotte’s Web. Tickets available to the first 500 to order due to the size of the auditorium.
• May: “Regions Free Day with the Symphony” on Tuesday, May 11 at 7 p.m. at Calsonic Arena in Shelbyville.
• June: “Regions Free Days with the Symphony” from June 10-30. This will include a series of free community concerts in Nashville, Brentwood, Lebanon and Lafayette.
• July and August: “Regions Free Days of Big Band” every Saturday evening in July and August. Dance the night away during WAMB’s annual Big Band Dances in the Park at Centennial Park in Nashville. Dates include July 10, 17, 24, and 31 and August 7, 14, 21, and 28.
• September: “Regions Free Day at Adventure Science Center” on Sunday, Sept. 12 from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• October: “Regions Free Day of Music” at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. This annual event opens up the doors of the Schermerhorn Symphony Center for an entire day providing free concerts from a variety of musical groups including the Nashville Symphony.
• November: “Regions Free Day for the Military at the Nashville Zoo” on Nov. 14 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. All active and retired military and their families will receive free admission in honor of Veterans Day.
• December: “Regions Free Day of Holiday Magic” on Dec. 15. This special performance of the Nashville Ballet gives hundreds of children an opportunity to experience The Nutcracker free of charge.
For more information about “Regions Free Days,” call (615) 748-2168.