Salemtown’s Fehr School and Tennessee State University’s Hale Stadium and fieldhouse are among the 2011 “Nashville Nine,” which recognizes historic properties throughout the city in danger of being lost to demolition, neglect or inappropriate renovations.
The nonprofit group Historic Nashville Inc., which seeks to promote and preserve historic places, released the selected properties on Friday.
Built in 1924 and located at 1624 Fifth Ave. N., the Fehr School had housed the Metro Action Commission until the Metro agency moved downtown this summer. Metro Councilwoman Erica Gilmore, who represents the area, is working with the Metro Historical Commission to designate the school a local historic landmark.
TSU’s Hale Stadium served as the home of the university’s Tiger football team until 1998 when LP Field opened. Hale Stadium, known as “The Hole,” has seen football since 1931. The existing field house was built in 1954.
Some TSU supporters are hoping the football team will return to Hale Stadium, in part to liven up the game-day atmosphere.
Other properties on the “Nashville Nine” are as follows:
• French-Starr Piano Building – Built 1889; 240 Fifth Ave. N., Downtown
• Gallatin Road Fire Hall for Engine No. 18 – c. 1930s
• Highland Heights School (current home to KIPP Academy) – c. 1930s
• Hughes House – c. 1870 1724 Jefferson St., North Nashville
• McGavock House – c. 1840, 908 Meridian St., East Nashville
• Percy Warner Park Picnic Shelters – c. 1930s, 7311 Highway 100, West Nashville
• Tennessee State Prison – Built 1898; 6410 Centennial Blvd., West Nashville