Keenan Reynolds kept the suspense all the way up to the moment he sat down at the table.
The standout Goodpasture quarterback then signed with the Naval Academy. He had not made known his intentions known until he actually made the announcement in the school library late Wednesday morning.
The 6-foot, 180-pound Reynolds rushed and passed for a combined total of more than 3,000 yards, the best combined total in the Nashville area, last season.
He chose Navy over Wofford and Air Force.
"He kept everyone in suspense until he actually made the announcement,'' Goodpasture coach David Martin said. "He's a great kid, and he will be a good fit at the Naval Academy.''
Some of the top Nashville area signings Wednesday included:
• As reported last week by The City Paper, Maplewood tailback Ladarius Vanlier signed with Tennessee Tech , and Steven Johnson, a fullback/defensive end, signed with Lindsey-Wilson. Quarterback Alvin Stokes is said to be considering Concordia, Ala.
• McGavock defensive end Caleb Azubike and Ensworth split end Cory Batey both signed with Vanderbilt. The Commodores received commitments those two, along with Memphis East star running back Brian Kimbrow, in early July last year and never wavered. Kimbrow, the top-ranked running back the state, also signed with the Commodores.
• At Battle Ground Academy, quarterback C.J. Beathard signed with Iowa (a change he made over the weekend after first committing to Ole Miss), linebacker Blake Thomson signed with Yale, split end Jordan Smith and lineman Matt Martin signed with Tennessee Tech and split end Cory Amos signed with Campbellsville.
• MBA plans: Six student-athletes at Montgomery Bell Academy were scheduled to sign Wednesday morning. The rundown: Football — Blake Bars (Michigan), Jamie Bradshaw (Cornell); Basketball — David Howard (Evansville); Crew — Gray Curtis (MIT); Swimming — Maclin Davis (USC); Lacrosse — Mattison Hamilton (Dickinson).
• Soccer commitment: Carly Bowen, one of the leaders in Franklin Road Academy’s run to the state soccer tournament, will sign with Texas Christian University at 1010 a.m. Friday in the school auditorium.