Those looking to get about town over the next couple days will need to do a little extra planning as several Christmas events will bring road closures as well as bus route detours on Friday and Saturday.
According to the Metro Transit Authority, starting at 3 p.m. Friday, no bus service will be provided on Woodland Street between South Fifth Street and downtown, so passengers in the central business district are encouraged to catch their buses at Music City Central.
And beginning at 4 p.m. Friday, and continuing until 9:30 p.m., several bus routes will be on detours due to the city tree-lighting ceremony, Rudolph Red Nose 5K Run and the Christmas parade. For detailed information regarding the route detours click here .
Those events, all downtown, will cause certain road closures expected to impact afternoon rush hour.
The 5K run starts at 6 p.m. from Victory Avenue at South Second Street in the LP Field and will track into downtown before ending back at Victory Lane.
The tree-lighting ceremony is at 6:30 p.m. in Public Square Park (in front of the Historic Courthouse).
The parade begins at 7 p.m. and will stage across the Woodland Street Bridge to LP Field before beginning its route at First Avenue North and Union Street. It will then travel up Broadway to 10th Avenue, where it will end.
According to the Metro Nashville Police Department the following road closures will be in effect:
• Westbound Woodland Street from Interstate Drive to Third Avenue North will close at 4 p.m.
• North First Street from Woodland Street to Jefferson Street will close at 4 p.m.
• Main Street, Russell Street, South First Street and South Second Street around LP Field will close at 4 p.m.
• Eastbound Woodland Street from Interstate Drive to Third Avenue North will close at 5:30 p.m.
• Second Avenue North will close at 5:45 p.m.
• Broadway between First and Eighth avenues will close at 5:45 p.m.
• Broadway between Ninth and 13th avenues will close at 6:45 p.m.
• Commerce Street between Eighth and 10th avenues will close at 6:45 p.m.
• Ninth Avenue South between Demonbreun Street and Broadway will close at 6:45 p.m.
• The Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge will close at 6:15 p.m. for the fireworks display. The bridge, which is in the fallout zone for the fireworks, will reopen immediately after the display has concluded.
Also, beginning at 2:30 p.m. Saturday and continuing until 5:30 p.m., MTA bus route 34 Opry Mills will be on detour due to the Donelson Christmas Parade.
That route detour is as follows: from downtown (local trips), at Lebanon Road and Briley Parkway, left on Briley Parkway, exit at Opry Mills and continue the regular route; to downtown (local trips), on McGavock, continue onto Briley Parkway towards I-40, exit on Lebanon Road and right on Lebanon Road to the regular route.
For more information on MTA detours and routes, visit nashvillemta.org  or call MTA Customer Care at 615-862-5950 weekdays from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.