Tennessee Titans linebacker Colin McCarthy is offering a free one-day clinic geared toward high school players who hope to improve their overall skills.
The clinic will be July 13 at Quest Sports Center in Brentwood. The sophomore-through-senior event needs only a coach’s recommendation for approval.
For signup information, go to www.ColinMcCarthyNFL.com .
• Former Nashville Christian School football coach Charlie Lansdell has been promoted from assistant to head coach at Columbia Academy.
Lansdell was coach at NCS from 2007-09 when his teams compiled a 7-23 record. He was also an assistant at Lipscomb Academy in 2006 before he got the NCS job.
• Former Overton High softball star Dominique Hannah, who is playing for Lee University in Cleveland, Tenn., has been named NAIA Player of the Year. She hit .482 with nine home runs and 56 RBIs, leading the school to the national tournament.
• Glencliff High cross country star Garang Madut has signed with Cumberland University in Lebanon. Madut earned four letters, two in cross country and two in track for Glencliff and was a member of the 2013 Middle Tennessee Dream Team.
• Kenny Robertson and Jason Stone of Maplewood High have signed to play basketball in college. Robertson has signed to play with Martin Methodist in Pulaski, and Stone is headed to Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin.
• Memphis Christian Brothers (36-8) finished 14th in the final USA Today baseball rankings after beating Montgomery Bell Academy in the DII-AA state championship finals last month. MBA beat the Wave 12-6 in the winners bracket finals, but lost in the final game 13-3. Christian Brothers was the highest ranked Tennessee team.
• Former Hillwood High and Tennessee State basketball star Josh Cooperwood has been named as assistant women's coach at Tennessee State under head coach Larry Joe Inman. Cooperwood also played on several professional teams overseas as well as one season with the defunct Nashville Rhythm.